Upgrading to v5 from v4 - any gotchas & tips?

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled down for v5 - my questions are:

• Is it a good time for me to move over to v5, now that the bugs from the first release has been ironed out, hopefully? Or should I wait a bit longer?
  • Is upgrading from v4 to v5 straightforward? Any settings that might go missing/cause issue?
  • Any "gotchas" or tips I should be aware of during the upgrade?

Thanks all.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

There was some things to watch out for, but I think most of those were fixed. Make a backup FIRST.

Just uncheck the block where you run blueiris as a service then reboot, upgrade, then check the box back and reboot.
Check all operation, as you may have to reset motion levels, etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
At this particular moment, there are currently some stability issues in the latest BI 5 release related to triggering cameras causing Blue Iris to crash. Maybe wait a week.

Blue Iris 5 reorganized some of the settings you would find on the Trigger and Record tabs, so you might lose some of those settings. Particularly if you used more than one "profile" in Blue Iris.

If you decide to utilize the sub streams of any of your cameras, know that after you turn on the sub stream your motion detection settings and motion zones will need reconfigured.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to the great "backup" advice from @bp2008 and @Old Timer , i suggest BEFORE the upgrade from v4 to v5 or any re-install of Blue Iris ("BI"):

1) In BI, go to "Settings" ==>> "About" tab ==>> click on "Email Support" button. The info will be copied onto the Clipboard.
2) Open Notepad / text editor and paste (Control V) the Clipboard into a new document and save it to a known place...now you'll have your BI License Key saved so you can copy/paste it later as well if needed for activation in a new BI install!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One more comment from the peanut gallery. Use version 5.3.2.11 The 5.3.3.x versions seem to have a problem with unexpected, random, crashes and restarts.