UPS for use with Blue Iris system

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a compact/repair and repair/regenerate.

In any event I think you are working now!
Yeah I figured the repair/regenerate was the right option.

I am still amazed at how robust BI is.....for $60!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I figured the repair/regenerate was the right option.

I am still amazed at how robust BI is.....for $60!
It is an unbelievable value! What other program updates as frequently as this and with real added value with the updates!

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all

I am reopening this thread since all my history on this issue is here...and easier than retyping EVERYTHING as far as some things ....hope thats ok?

I have had this BI system running just fine since the last post....and as far as I can tell it is still running ok....

But I realized I had not done a backup thru Macrium for a long time......when I first used it back in May-ish, no issues at all. ANd the backup drive worked fine back then (as posted above).

But windows has updated 1,000 times, etc SO I figured I should do a quick clone again....

Well, now it wont complete a cloning of my main system C drive (a SSD) to my backup drive (a HDD).

Macrium sees the drives etc and starts the cloning but gets as far as 10% on the final steps and then throws a error "clone failed error 9"

I researched it and tried different stuff.....

Checked and reconnected the drive cable on the backup HDD...even switched the SATA port on the mobo....

I have tried first disabling and then completely uninstalling my virus software (AVAST premium).....then disabled Avast Cleaning tools. No Windows firewall or anything as far as I can see.

Then did a CHK DSK /r of the HDD backup drive and then eventually the SSD....the latter took a long time...over an hour....windows said it was "fixing" it" (sic)....it eventually finished and attempted a restart....it did not restart on its own normally...said it couldnt but gave me the choice to try restart again.....I restarted at that message and the PC restarted fine.

I then tried changing the settings in Macrium to "ignore bad sectors"...same error.

Then added "'do not verify file system" since that seems to be when the error happens.

Same . exact . error . every . time.

And at this point I have no backup drive now. UGH!

Any ideas? I do not want to break my C drive ...it was risky doing the CHK DSK I suppose.....if there is an error on tha tdrive I cant tell because stuff seem to be working right.....aside from the clone.

I have attache some jpgs showing the error etc.

(Why cant anything ever be easy? LOL)

Thanks for any advice and ideas.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using Macrium to clone the boot drive on my BI machine for a couple of years with no problems. Originally an SSD and now an M2 drive. Both cloned onto a platter drive. As an alternative, to get some protection in the mean time, try running an image of the boot drive onto the backup drive. Incidentally, I don't think running standard Windows diagnostic/fix tools on an SSD is a good idea since their architecture is significantly different and I don't think those tools account for that.

It could be your Avast getting in the way. If you can shut that down and try a clone without it running, at all, that might work. My clone runs with no problems and with Norton running at the same time.

I'd also turn off Windows updates. I haven't updated my BI machine in a couple of years. It still runs fine and has yet to be "attacked" by hackers. Just my opinions and thoughts, YMMV.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Instead of a Clone try a backup. and also if your using a saved " scheduled " backup it may be corrupted. make a new backup named " fuckinAmotherfucker" and see if it completes. Usually when i have that happen its because I changed a piece of hardware and the "saved" scheduled back doesn't see something that it's supposed to look for like a SSD with a specific drive letter.
I don't do clones on my home machine. 9am daily incremental to a seperate internal HDD.
I create a full backup(s) images and then I can write that back to my C drive ( or new C drive)
I do have a Clone everynight at 4AM at the restaurant. on Macrium 5 or6. It's been perfect since 2016...and ever since we added an extra case fan, and an APC UPS its been up for the entire time.

Last edited:

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using Macrium to clone the boot drive on my BI machine for a couple of years with no problems. Originally an SSD and now an M2 drive. Both cloned onto a platter drive. As an alternative, to get some protection in the mean time, try running an image of the boot drive onto the backup drive. Incidentally, I don't think running standard Windows diagnostic/fix tools on an SSD is a good idea since their architecture is significantly different and I don't think those tools account for that.

It could be your Avast getting in the way. If you can shut that down and try a clone without it running, at all, that might work. My clone runs with no problems and with Norton running at the same time.

I'd also turn off Windows updates. I haven't updated my BI machine in a couple of years. It still runs fine and has yet to be "attacked" by hackers. Just my opinions and thoughts, YMMV.
Yeah the first time I used it, no issues at all..easy peasy. Which is why I am stymied....

I am doing an "image" now.....onto the backup drive, will report back on that......but now that I think of it, I guess I will need to then transfer that to something else if I want to keep trying to clone to my backup drive.........

From what I have read, doing a CHK DSK to a SSD "doesn't do much" but it also doesn't hurt it....defragging, it seems DOES though...I never knew that......learned something today at least. LOL

I had actually uninstalled AVAST altogether at one point and same error so that wasn't the case.

I am running W10 64bit HOME....far as I can see I can only push off updates 30 days at a time....ugh.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Instead of a Clone try a backup. and also if your using a saved " scheduled " backup it may be corrupted. make a new backup named " fuckinAmotherfucker" and see if it completes. Usually when i have that happen its because I changed a piece of hardware and the "saved" scheduled back doesn't see something that it's supposed to look for like a SSD with a specific drive letter.
I don't do clones on my home machine. 9am daily incremental to a seperate internal HDD.
I create a full backup(s) images and then I can write that back to my C drive ( or new C drive)
I do have a Clone everynight at 4AM at the restaurant. on Macrium 5 or6. It's been perfect since 2016...and ever since we added an extra case fan, and an APC UPS its been up for the entire time.
I am trying that (a backup) now. I never had any scheduled anything set up....I did the first CLONE when I first insatlled Macrium and then didnt use it or touch it since...that was in May 21....

If the C drive is what I am imaging, and if it tanks, how would I use the stored image I am making now on my G drive? I would haev to have some an emergency boot from something I assume......I dont have anything set up yet.

I figure with the clone I could just plug in the G drive (backup) if C tanks and run that if need be.....and Clone it back to C.

Hadn't given doing an "image" much thought.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying the "image" option...but honestly it isnt looking good (to me at least).....

90+ hours to make a image of 45gb of data? Something has to be frehunced.

***UPDATE-- it took an hour. LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Create macrium boot USB thumb drive.
its a rudimentary graphical interface that will let u surf to the “image” folder location andbthen apply it

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Or if you create a macrium pre-OS boot enviironment with the blue splash screen tou can select it, and does the same thing as a usb drive.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
With Daily incrementals, you lose very little cam data. Or data of whatever.
I remember about five years ago I may have been Ransomwared with a frozen PC or a Browser page hijack of somekind.
I pulled the internet connection, and rebooted into Macrium boot environment, and selected an image dated the night before.
Rewrote the C:\ drive in 25 minutes. And i was golden.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back on this topic sooner Flintstone.....life got busy and then I fell ill within a week or so of your last post......

I think where I am at is that I did as you suggested.....the "image" onto my backup platter drive 9my C drive is a SSD drive....) that did complete.

But then my PC started crashing a lot......I could get it to come back each time but a real PITA.....like the SSD wasnt being seen.....it would START bootup and start windows but then error.....so I made a windows "recovery" stick drive.....but the kicker is that even though windows made it, I realized that my old MOBO (MSI 760GMP23 FX) doesnt have setings in the BIOS for allowing booting from USB......UGH!

Maybe time for a new MOBO....which means basically building a new system from scratch......

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or if you create a macrium pre-OS boot environment with the blue splash screen tou can select it, and does the same thing as a usb drive.
See my message above....pretty sure my MOBO dosnt support boot from USB. :(

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah you dont need boot from USB in that scenario, Windows PE is installed by macrium, on the C drive in a PreOS environment that it creates, allowing you a GUI to use a mouse and keyboard and surf to the saved Image, even if it resides on a USB drive.