US bans approval of new technology from China's Huawei and ZTE for 'national security

WooHoo4me

n3wb
Reaction score
We all know the risks with Chinese-manufactured electronics -- and that's why we keep our cams off of the internet.
[/QUOTE]

If I may add,
Regarding cybersecurity -or lack thereof.
I am reluctant to share with you a personal experience with an executive that works for a rather large hi-tech American business.

But here goes;
Perhaps you know of the "HP" (Hewlett-Packard) moniker?
They are the Holy Grail and great grandfather of much of the electronic technology we enjoy today.
Fantastic test equipment. Originating from a garage in what is now known as the Silicon Valley. Rich history going back to the 40's.

Now known as Keysight Technologies, and formerly known as 'Agilent' just before the breakup and division from HP.
(which now sells 'HP' PC's and printers/inks) Name changed to dis-associate the two entities. I have low regard for HP consumer products.

Keysight designs/manufactures and supports an incredibly wide range of electronic technology products.
The kind of laboratory products 'scientific instruments' used to invent/develop and create electronic technology among many other things.

I will NOT share the executive's name because this was amidst heresay during a series of lunch breaks.
-but I consider it a truthful observation and 3rd person POV made during a recent visit to China as part of
efforts to establish quality systems within a Keysight [network analyzer] manufacturing startup in China.
Unfortunately, Keysight [along with a huge raft of other hi-tech global businesses] has many of their products
manufactured across China and the Eastern Rim states.

I consider this relevant because of the technical nature of the various business ventures America has 'shared' with China.

IMHO,
Everyone has reason to be wary (but not paranoid) of anything coming out of China.
In particular, technology products that could be backdoor purposed to compromise security.
I have nothing against the Chinese, and I am certain the country -as in America, has a majority of 'good' people who
disagree with their government's actions [if they were aware].

Having said the above, I share the executive's following point of interest;

China DEMANDS any manufacturer establishing a business on their soil, to 'share' aspects of the inteded product's intellectual property (IP).
While I am not privy to the depth of IP disclosure in this case, this seems legalized espionage handed to a very intelligent and unscrupulous business [and geopolitical] adversary.
The executive made it clear this obviates copyright and patent law amidst a take it or leave it attitude.

The exec claimed to have seen neighborhood billboard signs openly advertising specified RMB rewards would be paid to anyone
providing certain chips or leaking patent related secrets.

Honestly, that one floored me.

Considering that most electronics today are sourced by the Eastern rim, this poses a clear and present hazard.

The FCC or Homeland Security pose little if any substantive challenge in the face of China's business tactics.
I scoff at banning approval of such products...its all out of China or the rim..where else would anyone get
such things and what guarantee the threat would be any different?

I submit, that it is not the brand or model, but the chips being used and the invisiblef, secret code running within.
The problem being that many businesses (China in particular) do not 'share' their IP. It is a one-way road with them.
They go as far as removing ID markings from the chips within their products. -or crafting micro-sized trojans.
Try asking for a parts list, schematic, source code or patched code to correct an identified vulnerability. They will ignore or obfuscate the request.

I was going to say, what the world needs is a new industry -that samples products, analyzes chip designs and
code, and corrects as needed. But that would also be in conflict with global patent and copyright law.
Something that China conveniently ignores.
what a mess.