US Elections (& Politics) :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
"Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at Consumer Reports, said that it's not all that surprising that gasoline-powered cars are more reliable than EVs because the latter are a relatively new technology and time is needed to iron out the kinks."

This is sure a different take than all the preaching we've heard that EV are more reliable because they have so many fewer moving parts. That said, I don't particularly trust the CR report or the followup spin on it. They're conflating the number of problems reported with reliability. A flat tire has the same status as battery fire. After saying that EVs have more problems, they say that one model Toyota EV has good reliability while a Ford model was bad, with no thinking that the real issue might be manufacturer differences. It feels more like spin and tortured data to me, rather than an accurate report of reliable data.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
"Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at Consumer Reports, said that it's not all that surprising that gasoline-powered cars are more reliable than EVs because the latter are a relatively new technology and time is needed to iron out the kinks."

This is sure a different take than all the preaching we've heard that EV are more reliable because they have so many fewer moving parts. That said, I don't particularly trust the CR report or the followup spin on it. They're conflating the number of problems reported with reliability. A flat tire has the same status as battery fire. After saying that EVs have more problems, they say that one model Toyota EV has good reliability while a Ford model was bad, with no thinking that the real issue might be manufacturer differences. It feels more like spin and tortured data to me, rather than an accurate report of reliable data.
Automakers are definitely onboard with short shelf life and high replacement cost.