US Elections (& Politics) :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Retail Chains Abandon Manhattan: ‘It’s Unsustainable’

In the heart of Manhattan, national chains including J.C. Penney, Kate Spade, Subway and Le Pain Quotidien have shuttered branches for good. Many other large brands, like Victoria’s Secret and the Gap, have kept their high-profile locations closed in Manhattan, while reopening in other states.

Michael Weinstein, the chief executive of Ark Restaurants, said he will never open another restaurant in New York.

Of Ark Restaurants’ five Manhattan restaurants, only two have reopened, while its properties in Florida — where the virus is far worse — have expanded outdoor seating with tents and tables into their parking lots, serving almost as many guests as they had indoors.

“There’s no reason to do business in New York,” Mr. Weinstein said. “I can do the same volume in Florida in the same square feet as I would have in New York, with my expenses being much less.”

In Manhattan’s major retail corridors, from SoHo to Fifth Avenue to Madison Avenue, once packed sidewalks are now nearly empty. A fraction of the usual army of office workers goes into work every day, and many wealthy residents have left the city for second homes.

Some popular chains, like Shake Shack and Chipotle, report that their stores in New York were performing worse than others elsewhere, investment analysts said. A few dozen Subway locations have closed in New York City in recent months.

A Gap Store near Rockefeller Center has stayed closed and has not paid its $264,000 monthly rent. Two T.G.I. Friday’s in prime locations, one near Rockefeller Center and another in Times Square, have remained closed while its restaurants elsewhere in the country have reopened.

Landlords have started filing lawsuits against commercial tenants for not paying rent, accusing some national brands of trying to take advantage of the crisis.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Kamala Harris In April 2019: ‘I Believe’ Joe Biden’s Accusers

Democratic California Sen. Kamala Harris in April 2019 said she believes 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden’s accusers, however, she has not addressed the reports that have surfaced backing up the claims that Biden sexually assaulted a female staffer when he was a senator.

“I believe them and I respect them being able to tell their story and having the courage to do it,” Harris said at a presidential campaign event in Nevada. When asked if Biden should run for president, Harris said “He’s going to have to make that decision for himself. I wouldn’t tell him what to do.”

This comes after a 1993 transcript obtained by The Intercept showed that the mother of Biden’s accuser Tara Reade, who has accused the then-senator of kissing her, touching her and penetrating her with his fingers without her consent in 1993, mentioned during a call to “Larry King Live,” that her daughter had problems with a “prominent senator” in Washington.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
After Chicago Looting and Coronavirus, Businesses Consider Closing Shop. On Jeweler’s Row, businesses saw their inventory wiped out. “Forty-two years of business—what I have is gone.”

CHICAGO—Terry Te pulled gleaming trays of wedding and engagement rings from a safe on Tuesday morning and arranged them in the glass cases of his jewelry shop that had been the site of chaos just the day before.

Mr. Te, 36 years old, got a call around 3:15 a.m. Monday that people were trying to break into the building that houses his store, Imperial Jewelry, along Chicago’s downtown strip known as Jeweler’s Row. He grabbed his gun and bulletproof vest and rushed downtown.

What he saw when he got there was a scene that played out along some of the city’s toniest neighborhoods: looters breaking windows, stealing merchandise and outmanned police trying to chase them away.

Mr. Te saved his inventory and cleaned up. He said he may face looting again. “I’m almost ready to move to find a much quieter location in a less violent city,” he said. “It’s basically a lawless land.”

The looting that began late Sunday and continued into Monday morning marks the second time the city has been hit in recent months. After George Floyd was killed in May while in Minneapolis police custody, widespread unrest left Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, a strip of high-end stores north of downtown that has long been a showpiece of the city, and other neighborhoods boarded up.

This weekend, caravans of looters responded to calls on social media, hitting stores in a wide swath of the city, following the shooting by police of a 20-year-old man who officers say fired on them first.

Police Superintendent David Brown on Monday said commanders deployed 400 officers to combat the looting, but said that prosecutors and the courts had failed to make their first rounds of arrests in June stick, making looters feel there were no consequences for their actions.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Kamala Harris In April 2019: ‘I Believe’ Joe Biden’s Accusers

Democratic California Sen. Kamala Harris in April 2019 said she believes 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden’s accusers, however, she has not addressed the reports that have surfaced backing up the claims that Biden sexually assaulted a female staffer when he was a senator.

“I believe them and I respect them being able to tell their story and having the courage to do it,” Harris said at a presidential campaign event in Nevada. When asked if Biden should run for president, Harris said “He’s going to have to make that decision for himself. I wouldn’t tell him what to do.”

This comes after a 1993 transcript obtained by The Intercept showed that the mother of Biden’s accuser Tara Reade, who has accused the then-senator of kissing her, touching her and penetrating her with his fingers without her consent in 1993, mentioned during a call to “Larry King Live,” that her daughter had problems with a “prominent senator” in Washington.

Harris is the best Biden can do? Wow...Sad.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Chinese immigrant student who appreciates the rights that Americans have is Banned from University for exercising 1st and 2nd Amendment rights...

Leftism is Fascism.

You can search Fascism on Google, it has been predominately reimagined as Right-Wing in most searches, when it was and always has been Left-Wing in world events.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Most importantly, must be a woman. Once again, Biden just can't get enough. He just can't get his hands off women. All pun intended

Apparently, Harris worked with Biden's son Beau. There is some intimate relationship between the VP pick and Biden over this matter.

Good thing Biden didn't choose AOC. Can imagine the allegations that pop up after his four years are up. Again, Biden just can't get enough.

He only had two qualifications. Must be Black. Well she is 16% Black. Must be a women. She is that. No other criteria was needed. :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hypocrisy plagues this nation and we have all become a laughing stock. However, who's to say that other countries are prospering as well? China is an exception, being the largest manufacturer of crap goods in the world and they are still able to get away from it. Instead of whining about Climate Change, why not produce less trash, and produce more quality goods. It starts with the consumer mindset. ;)

Remember, the best Tequila comes from Mexico. Pretty sure this is not a subjective comment :lmao:

Joey approves this...

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hypocrisy plagues this nation and we have all become a laughing stock. However, who's to say that other countries are prospering as well? China is an exception, being the largest manufacturer of crap goods in the world and they are still able to get away from it. Instead of whining about Climate Change, why not produce less trash, and produce more quality goods. It starts with the consumer mindset. ;)

Remember, the best Tequila comes from Mexico. Pretty sure this is not a subjective comment :lmao:

Joey approves this...

Talking about tequila, it looks like Joey ate the worm. Did he flip flop?, Oh! That's right, he is a Democrat.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming Biden wins,

Meet the 48th President of the United States:
Kamala Harris ;)

A lot people think that if Biden wins, he won't make it 'till the end of his first term due to his forgetfulness

Otherwise, the seat is always open for Donald Trump :rofl:

This is Biden's peak moment in his campaign, there is not a single vote more to be harvested.

Last edited: