US Version or Gray Market

ehaneber

n3wb
Reaction score
I am putting together my first system and have been debating whether to purchase gray market Hikvision cameras or US versions(update-able). I currently am running one camera (DS-2CD2145F-IS) that I had set-up to email alerts until a few months ago when the gmail SSL issue occurred and had to upgrade the camera's firmware to 5.4.0 to get emails working again. So I was glad I purchased a US version that I could upgrade.

However, now I am expanding my system and it will consist of six total cameras running on Blue Iris. Once I have alerts (email) set up on BI, I am thinking that I will not need to worry about the cameras firmware anymore since Bi will take care of the alerts. So I am thinking to purchase the additional cameras on Aliexpress (running 5.3.8).

Am I missing anything/thinking correctly?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you ever going to update your firmware? If you are using extra features like the e-mail then get US/International version.

If you only want the stream then Grey market is fine. Whether it rocks up with v5.3.8 we don't know and xxx5 v5.3.8 is different to xx42 v5.3.8. So it might not be the best one, we don't know enough about xxx5.