USB plug in router for video storage?

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Safari ,

Do you know your NVR's LAN IP?
If so, from a PC on that same LAN, not a tablet or phone, open a browser, type in that IP into the URL and hit <enter>.
Anything come up?
I have not bought the system yet. I've been researching it for almost two months now. I need to view the local feed from my phone because I have no place to keep my laptop at work. I can do rtsp on my phone, but was hoping to use a more polished app.

Others on here have said it's possible to connect the nvr and a phone to a offline router, then use programs like tinycam monitor to see live feeds. But I also need the ability to transfer files from the nvr to my phone.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And that is very possible as well unfortunately.

My suggestion is buy one on amazon that allows for a free return (watch because not all will allow returns) and then try yourself. It may simply mean they think you want to access it while not in the building, which isn't what you are looking for.
Correct. I have found out while doing research every day for over a month that there are a huge number of people/users online -including "experts" in the field writing articles- that dont seem to understand being connected to wifi and being connected to the internet are not synonymous. You can be on 2.4ghz wifi and not be on the internet. It was getting frustrating reading the ignorance. Many articles on the internet are misleading because they use improperly defined terms.

I actually read one article that explained how the camera app can fully function without wifi, then proceeded to explain how to get the app connected to your phones 4g data

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is crazy!

There are many camera apps that will work connected to wifi without an internet connection. I was doing that with the dahua app when I was setting up my cams - I added a wifi router to the switch that has zero connectivity to the internet and works fine.

Generally, and your luck you will find the exception, but usually if the camera is ONVIF compliant then it can probably work offline without internet access. Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, etc. are not and need internet access.

Safari

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is crazy!

There are many camera apps that will work connected to wifi without an internet connection. I was doing that with the dahua app when I was setting up my cams - I added a wifi router to the switch that has zero connectivity to the internet and works fine.

Generally, and your luck you will find the exception, but usually if the camera is ONVIF compliant then it can probably work offline without internet access. Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, etc. are not and need internet access.
Yes. I know now I need to look for fully compliant onvif cameras. But I spent weeks studying the small indoor wifi cameras with sd cards like wyze, blink, etc. and found out their proprietary app cant function without internet access. They are designed that way. Now I look for onvif cameras that can use third party software.

Origanlly I was looking for a security camera with a large gb sd card that would work like my action cam does (it only takes a 64gb sd). My $39 4k campark action cam functions like a mini nvr and connects directly to my offline phone via lan wifi. The only problem is the XDV app is total spyware and requires complete possession of your phone. So I use it on a old phone without service and connect to the action cam's hotspot that way. It will connect locally up to about 50ft (without obstructions)

I plan on putting the action cam in a old hollowed out PIR motion detection box and use it as a covert stand alone part of my nvr system. You can cut a hole for the camera lens and cover it with perforated vinyl. The cam becomes invisible