Used HP computer with Intel VPro

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems the used HP elitedesk and prodesk models I'm seeing utilize Intel VPro/AMT. I've read some of the security issues with VPro. Anyone have experience with it good or bad?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems the used HP elitedesk and prodesk models I'm seeing utilize Intel VPro/AMT. I've read some of the security issues with VPro. Anyone have experience with it good or bad?
You’re a PC should not be exposed to the Internet without VPN problem solved.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I was actually considering one for general purpose business tasks as well. I'd prefer AMT turned off and have read of folks having performance issues when it is.

Reaction score
I was really interested for a time in the hardware onboard remote management, but not knowing anything about it it appears to be somewhat limited availability. I found a server board that has it, but I don't really need a server board! I'm not sure if there is a version that would provide hardware based remote desktop capability? That's where I was most interested, being able to see/interact with computer before/during boot but only worthwhile (for me) if it's also an alternative to RDP. Although I was intrigued by the remote power on/off that you can sometimes have with the hardware options was pretty cool if the computer had to be installed somewhere hard to reach.