Using BI, but thinking of renting out my house. Recommendations?

Reaction score
I have 9 cameras that run to a dumb POE switch. The trunk port of that switch runs to a firewall which only allows access to/from the Blue Iris and specific PC's.
I am going to rent out my house and I'm thinking of taking the BI with me, and putting in an NVR instead.
I see two 16-port models in the store, 1 POE (NVR5216-16P-4KS2E), 1 Not (NVR5216-4KS2) that should fit the bill depending on my config. I don't see the drive size limits for these, but I'm guessing they'd be big enough.

Is it possible to run the dumb switch trunk to the non POE NVR? I was pretty certain each port is only good for one camera.
If that's the case, I'm leaning toward removing the dumb switch & replacing it with the POE NVR, and then allowing web access to the NVR through the firewall.

Is it this straight forward or am I missing something?

Additional info:
My BI instance is running on a virtual machine. If I did it over, I'd run it on a dedicated PC. Quality is acceptable, but I do get some stuttering and some missed audio that I believe is related to the virtual environment. I will need an easy to access setup for a renter, so I think this is the best way forward.

I appreciate any advice.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the whole point of the non-POE NVR is for those that already have POE switches.

You simply hook the NVR to a switch that the POE cams are also hooked to.

BTW you can also do it to the POE NVR as well - you simply hook it to the WAN/LAN of the NVR and not the POE ports or connect the cameras to the POE ports of the NVR.