using BI with low bandwidth

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to find a low bandwidth solution to send snapshots of motion detection to an app where I could get alerts, while using minimal bandwidth. See here for back story (https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/12144-Alerts-from-a-location-without-Internet-wireless-hotspot?p=110275#post110275)

As a test, I have setup a hik camera to upload snapshots on motion to FTP and record videos to microsd. It is uploading to a Synology. The should work over the internet as well as local. They have two apps that allow for viewing these images, DS File and DS Image. However, they don't provide notification of new uploads. What I would really like to do is to use BI for the snapshot upload function. Then I could also use the alerts available within BI.
I have tried adding a jpg into the BI folder, but it doesn't see it. When I look at the Camera Settings in BI, I don't see a way to have a camera defined, but keep BI out of the process so that the camera decides when to establish a connection. I see Trigger > Camera's digital input or motion, but I suspect BI will still be eating away at limited bandwidth. Am I overlooking something or is BI going to add bandwidth overhead if I use it.
Thanks,
John

snapshots.PNG