Using BI with TP-Link acess point

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, my last thread was deleted with the questions about the TP-Link as an access point for my Foscams.

I just got it hooked up and running.

I have the TP-Link connected via lan cable to my Linksys router.

My question is, what should I set it up as?

The goal is to have the Foscams securely setup on the Access point and the BI computer connected via lan to the linksys. That should leave the Linksys free for the household stuff.

I have the following options:

Please select the proper operation mode according to your needs:
Access Point - Transform your existing wired network to a wireless network.
Repeater(Range Extender) - Extend your existing wireless coverage by relaying wireless signal.
Bridge with AP - Combine two local networks via wireless connection.
Client - Acting as a "Wireless Adapter" to connect your wired devices (e.g. Xbox/PS3) to a wireless network.
Multi-SSID - Create multiple wireless networks to provide different security and VLAN groups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks (again)
James

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Access Point, or maby Multi-SSID.. might let you have a guest wifi if you want that. (prevents you form having to give your wifi password to friends/family)

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sitting here reading up on it. I think access point. I have the Linksys unsecured, so anyone that needs it can use it.

Thanks for the response.

James

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most of the time if it lets you setup a guest network it isolates your local network, only allowing that wifi to access internet but not other devices such as your cameras/printers/computers.. this is a good thing as you'll want to also set some horribly long and complex password for the wifi network; which not only shouldent you tell anyone it would be hard for them to type in.. put your guest wifi password a lil easier like your last name + address if you dont want just anyone sharing your wifi.

with everyone and there mom having a smartphone sooner or later someone's gonna ask to get on your wifi so they dont chew up there dataplan; its almost a common curtsey now, like offering a drink.

Last edited by a moderator:

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
It's been open ever since I installed it around 8 years ago. It's just too slow of a router to support the cams, xBox, computers, etc.

I may put a guest access on it, but I'm far enough from the neighbors, it's never been a problem.

James

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The goal is to have the Foscams securely setup on the Access point and the BI computer connected via lan to the linksys.
ah, that one word threw me off.. if your leaving it open you can leave that word out. :)

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
I am securing the Foscams to the TP-Link and securing that router so no one can get in it. The BI laptop is on the unsecured Linksys router. I don't know if I am explaining it correctly.

Well, that leads to my next question.

I have the cameras on the Access point using a password and they are all working. The picture is much smoother and they load much faster. Since the addresses are the same, do I have to reconfigure BI?

The BI computer is on the linksys router, the cameras are on the TP-Link router which is connected to the Linksys router via lan cable.

I am about to just go ahead and try it and see, but I feel like I am missing something.

I will go ahead and secure the Linksys router if I can find a tutorial on how to do so.

James

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I transferred the wireless on the Foscams to the TP-Link. I only screwed one camera up (forgot to enter the password), and had to remove it and re load the settings. Luckily it was the easiest one to get to. No ladders required.

I booted up the BI computer and it picked up the cameras instantly. The picture is much better and the speed of the video is no longer jerky. I had a problem with one camera (in a metal building) that kept losing the feed. I will have to see tomorrow if it does it again.

I only have to set up remote control of the BI computer. I have it mounted next to the router which is in a horrible place to get to. I would like to be able to tweak the program and set up anything else without having to get on a ladder.

This forum is great and I am much happier with the performance of my setup. I have learned that wireless is not the way to go, and will be acquiring the components to switch to some hardwired cameras next summer. For now, I am thrilled.

Thanks for the tips, nayr.
James