Using BlueIris as a service causes PC to lag, stutter?

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When i try to run BlueIris as a service it causes my PC to lag and stutter, for instance it will take chrome a few min to open or task manger will take a few min to open everything just lags making the PC unusable. This is on new install of Windows 11 Pro 23H2. using a Intel i7-12700K with 32 GB of RAM and a NVMe drive.

I give Blueiris the same login and pass as what i use to log into my PC with admin account. CPU usage is only at 20 percent with GPU only at 15 percent.

Turn off run Blueiris as a service and the PC works fine again!

I have tired reinstalling windows, using different login passwords without special characters and still get the same issue.

I have also tried this exact same setup on another PC using the same login/pass running the same windows 11 version same Blueiris version same settings and it will run as a service the only difference being the other PC uses older hardware which is also Intel but it works fine.

Does this make any sense? Could it be a hardware issue if so what hardware would running as a windows service be affected?

Any help would be great as i am out of ideas.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 12th gen with CPU at "only 20 percent" tells me you either have a boatload of cameras or have not optimized the system and it is causing issues. Folks are running 50 cameras on a 4th gen at less CPU% than you are experiencing.

Are you running substreams and direct to disk?

Have you excluded BI and associated files from anti-virus?

Are you using hardware acceleration? If so try it turned off.

Is the computer used for anything else?

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I checked again CPU usage is at 3-5 percent according to blueiris, i don't use anti-virus and no pc is not used for anything else.

I would not think it was any of those things since it works perfectly fine if you don't run Blueiris as a windows service.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Windows has anti-virus built in (Windows Defender) that is on by default - you disabled it completely?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you ran the DISM commands to ensure Windows didn't corrupt a file that could be causing the issue?

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you ran the DISM commands to ensure Windows didn't corrupt a file that could be causing the issue?
No i have not tried that but have done a clean re-installed windows more than once.

typing is delayed also when running blueiris as a service as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Open up Task Manager and then make BI a service and see if anything opens up or jump up in %. It sure sounds like something is hanging up.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Open up Task Manager and then make BI a service and see if anything opens up or jump up in %. It sure sounds like something is hanging up.
Nothing spikes up at all. It's just super laggy.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems that i have stumped everyone! :(

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you disable BI as a service and then run BI leave it running then does the PC run fine?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did ask in Post#2 if you are using hardware acceleration (intel quicksync) and doing all the optimizations and you never replied to those questions.

Then you post this thread today asking if quick sync is still needed and admitted you don't use substreams, so that could be the problem there.

Turn on substreams and turn off hardware acceleration and see if the problem goes away....

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I do use quicksync and no I was not using sub streams.

I just tried using substreams with quicksync off the issue is still there.

with my cpu usage so low I wouldn’t think that was the issue….but what do I know!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly a headscratcher. Those are all the typical tricks we do.

The next one is to see if it is a corrupt camera.

Disable every camera in BI and with just BI open the CPU should be at 0%

Turn on the service and see if it still happens. If it does, then maybe BI itself is corrupt.

If it works fine with no cameras, then slowly enable a camera one by one.

Enable one and wait a while and see if the issue happens, if it doesn't add another camera.

Repeat until the problem happens. When it does that is the problem camera and delete it and re-add from scratch.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have re-downloaded and installed blueiris a few times when i formatted and re-installed windows.

It will happen with zero cameras in blueiris. I tired that when i thought maybe my imported settings where bad.

Is there a log of errors in BI that might show the issue?

Guess i need to throw away my computer since on my older pc it works fine.

Reaction score
Do not use the latest BI version. Use the latest 'critical or highly-stable' version, which is 5.8.9.10. I am on 5.8.6.7 which was the highly-stable version from February.

Turn off disk optimization and defragmentation.