Using Coax Seal Tape

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When using Coax Seal Tape, to ensure I don't ruin the cable jackets later when I want to take it off, should I pre-wrap the connection in something else first? Or will I be able to get it off without issue later?

Thank you for your feedback.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will come off later, like this:
  • Carefully slit length of coax seal /rubber tape with sharp knife and peel back (risky if unfamiliar) OR ...
  • Slit gently with sharp knife where the coax seal/rubber tape parts in a "V" near the conductor when you attempt to separate the 2 halves where you cut (less risky, slower) OR....
  • (My favorite), use small diagonal cutters with sharp point and gently and slowly slice along the length of the coax seal/rubber tape with the tool's sharp cutter tip between cable and the coax seal/rubber tape (sharp point of cutters pointed towards uncut coax seal/rubber tape)....take tiny bites.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my Coax Seal tape. Now that I've used it...I get it. Its fairly awesome.

For my bullets, instead of using a junction box, can I wrap the connections in Coax Seal tape, then wrap the Coax Seal with electrical tape for UV protection? This is not a professional installation, and the wrapping will be hidden behind a wood pole.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For my bullets, instead of using a junction box, can I wrap the connections in Coax Seal tape, then wrap the Coax Seal with electrical tape for UV protection? This is not a professional installation, and the wrapping will be hidden behind a wood pole.
You could, but most likely the UV will eventually get to even 3M 33+ or 88, dry it out then unravel it, especially if directly exposed. The reason why I use 33+ over the self-vulcanizing rubber tape (Coax Seal) is to "speed up" the sealing process with the pressure.

If the expense of the manufacturer's junction box for the bullet is putting you off you may consider this for about $11 each, total:
Bullet Camera Mounting Box

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this 3M 2228 tape similar to Coax Seal?

Yes, IMO, after reading about it in your link.
I have used several brands and what I found important regardless:
  • It be termed "self-vulcanizing", or "self-fusing"
  • You cover the unprotected area completely and then some.
What I recommend when it comes to using on a camera pigtail is to start wrapping the Coax Seal on the cable (with slight tightness to your wrap) about 1-1/4" from the connector, continue over the RJ45 male-to-RJ45 female connector junction, then past that connector body another 1-1/4", then cut the Coax Seal. Make sure your wrap overlaps no less than half the width of the Coax Seal. Now TIGHTLY over-wrap that with the 3M 33+ or 88, same overlap of about half-width, go past the Coax Seal a good inch on both sides.

Last edited: