Using Dahua POE NVR extra port for IR illuminator

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have: NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2
Will the ports on this or other Dahua NVRs power IR illuminators? In the NVR specs I do not see 802.3af which leads me to believe the NVR will not work with a 802.3af IR illuminator. Has anyone had luck powering an illuminator with extra/unused ports on a Dahua NVR with POE?

poptix

n3wb
Reaction score
The question is what does the IR illuminator need? You can buy pigtails that will do 802.3af -> 5v/12v/24v/48v (and various voltages inbetween).

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I do not think I would be trying that idea, I know the NVR's already will cut out a cam or two temporarily when another cam is added to the load on those NVR's and my guess would be it would be doing the same having that illuminators turning off and on.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can do this with my cisco POE switch. If you don't draw more than ~15 watts from the port I don't see why it shouldn't work.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IR illuminator has pigtails, but I prefer to use POE via CAT5e. my concern is the NVR is not listed as 802.3af (from what i have seen). I do not have a POE switch at the install location. At home I use a Unifi POE switch. I am not afforded that luxury at the install location, yet was hoping the NVR port would work.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I can do this with my cisco POE switch. If you don't draw more than ~15 watts from the port I don't see why it shouldn't work.
I do not think the NVR is geared for that, If it does work(and it might) and if you don't mind loosing a few cams for about 15 to 20 seconds until the load balances every time that illuminator kicks in than go for it. It should support 48V @ 120 W Depends on how many cams you have already.

Last edited:

poptix

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The question is what does the IR illuminator need? You can buy pigtails that will do 802.3af -> 5v/12v/24v/48v (and various voltages inbetween).
If the IR illuminator is truly 802.3af-compliant as @trauts14 stated, and you don't want to use your POE NVR or POE switch, then you can use a POE injector such as this.

It comes with a 48 VDC power supply, as part of the 'PSE' or Power Sourcing Equipment; the 'PD' or Powered Device in this case is the IR illuminator.

"The IEEE POE standards provide for signaling between the PSE and PD. This signaling allows the presence of a conformant device to be detected by the power source, and allows the device and source to negotiate the amount of power required or available, which is a max of 15.4 watts for 802.3af."
(Source: Wikipedia)

If the CAT-5 cable is at maximum length of 100m/328 ft. then about 12.9 watts should be available due to loss.

So it boils down to one main question: is the PD (IR illuminator) truly 802.3af compliant? If so, the above suggested TP-LINK POE injector will power the IR Illuminator.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.