Using HIK cameras/NVRs over the web -- still need ActiveX and weird codecs?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to pick out a cam/NVR system and HIK looks pretty good so far, in large part to the great community in places like this.

It's important that I'm able to easily check in on my system via the internet, but I know in times past there were some weird limitations, like you had to use a specific version of Internet Explorer, and an ActiveX plugin.

Is this sort of thing still a concern with our lovely cheap Chinese cameras and NVRs? Or if you're buying new stuff, can you use any old browser, like the one on your phone?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are going to view the cams via a web browser you need to use Internet Explorer, but you should probably use IVMS-4200. IVMS-4200 kicks ass.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IE or proprietary HIK software are the only choices? That's too bad. Can't believe there's not more outcry about not being able to use your phone or tablet to check your system.

Hmm, I just found some ipad software: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivms-4500-lite/id441697527?mt=8

It's not listed on the official web site though, is it the real deal? Seems strange that they'd release iOS software and not link to it!

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IVMS-4500 is the IPhone and Android viewing software. If you spend some time working with it you will find it works well.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Ivms4500 does the job but I find Tiny cam pro is better for Android.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whew, good to see there are options for mobile. I have also just seen some references to using Firefox instead of IE. Thanks everyone.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Whew, good to see there are options for mobile. I have also just seen some references to using Firefox instead of IE. Thanks everyone.
Hikvision promised to have it working again with Chrome in November, we are still waiting for this to happen...