Using JSON API to Mail Snapshots

Robert M

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm working with the JSON interface now and already have working code to change profiles when I arm/disarm my home alarm.

What I'm looking for now and not sure if I can do is trigger screenshots to be emailed on alarm triggers (vs just motion triggers from camera). Is this possible? Would it be some conbination of the JSON interface and throwing GET calls to the standard web interface?

Looking at the help reference here: JSON interface
and this older page here:
Blue Iris integration- HTTP binding, REST api

It looks like if I set PTZ to POS=100 a snapshot will be taken..however, I don't see a way for me to trigger that to be mailed via the BI interface or how I would download that snapshot so I can have my code do the emailing.

I'd prefer to trigger the emailing through BI rather than download the screenshots if possible.

Any pointers?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to experiment with these APIs myself. The ability to snag a capture using the APIs would help with my goal to use a SmartThings door/window sensor on my mailbox to trigger a snapshot from the camera facing the mailbox.

xdq

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tygunn: I've managed to do this by installing the Blue Iris Fusion App for SmartThings.
You can trigger an event on a camera (group too?) based on Active/Open/On events for various SmartThings sensors.

Robert M

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I might have to resort to doing this through my Vera box (similar to Smart Things) as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can't directly instruct Blue Iris to send an email, but it is trivial to trigger a camera (e.g. make it pretend it saw motion), and in Blue Iris you can have a camera configured to send an email when it is triggered.

It is also trivial to download a live jpeg snapshot from any camera. This is all described in the "JSON interface" and "The Web Server" sections of the Blue Iris help file.