using motion detectors to turn on lights

wilric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WE have a long driveway into the back of our warehouse used for vendor to deliver product. The guys in the back who are inside the warehouse or are doing some othe task would like to know when a truck is backing down the driveway. Has anyone figured out how to turn on a blinking light or strobe to alert them to a motion from the cameras. I have found a wireless product with a receiver and a z-wave controller used in conjunction with some dry contact sensors which would accomplish this. I think there must be someway for theses camera and software to accomplish something similar.

Thanks
Richard

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You are using Blue Iris, right? If you get, for example, a Vera Z-wave controller, you could have Blue Iris send a command to the Vera (using HTTP GET) every time a certain camera is triggered. That command could turn on any Z-wave device. I'm not sure how you would get the device to turn back off, as I've never set up anything to do that. But I am sure it is possible.

wilric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, that is the product they suggested used in conjunction with their other products

Hey Richard,

Here is some info in regard to the alert system we chatted about earlier. You would start with the 2500 Driveway Alert Kit-

http://www.homecontrols.com/Dakota-Alert-2500-Wireless-Vehicle-Detection-Kit-Probe-Sensor-DADCPA2500

Then, to enable email notifications, you add a Z Wave hub and a couple of dry contact sensors, then you can be notified via email.

VeraEdge Z Wave Controller
http://www.homecontrols.com/Vera-Edge-Z-Wave-Home-Controller

Aeon Labs Dry Contact Sensor
http://www.homecontrols.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Dry-Contact-Sensor-AEZW097

Now, the Z Wave part of this adds about $150.00 to your project, but it is really cool and works great. There are two outputs on the Dakota Alert receiver. One of them can be used to activate a light and the other one can be used to connect the Z Wave contact sensor. When the receiver is alerted, the external light flashes and the Z Wave sensor alerts the controller, which sendsout the notification to the intended recipient. The VeraEdge controller does need a local internet connection in order to send out the notification. The Dakota receiver and the VeraEdge controller should be placed no more than about 50-60 feet from each other to ensure proper communication.

There is a Youtube video that shows this being done in real life. In this video he is using both of the outputs for Z Wave sensors, where you would only need to use one. It's pretty interesting stuff. He used door/window sensors, but since this video was made, the Aoen Labs Dry Contact sensors have come out and they are made specifically for this type of use.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you don't think this system is not appropriate for your situation. If you think that the Z Wave part is too much, then you can use the Dakota kit and add an external light and sounder/siren and probably be just fine.

Joe Harper

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wilric, can I just use a regular z-wave motion sensor to detect motion on my driveway and trigger an event that way? Seems to be a lot more work to hook up a non-zwave driveway kit up to door sensors to trigger events.

Last edited by a moderator:

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Requires a bit more hardware. But use opensprinkler. This is a computer which is mainly a for sprinkler. Then attach an RF transmitter to opensprinkler. Then it can turn on wireless PowerPoint. I use this now to turn on a big flood light when blue iris has motion detection in back yard.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Requires a bit more hardware. But use opensprinkler. This is a computer which is mainly a for sprinkler. Then attach an RF transmitter to opensprinkler. Then it can turn on wireless PowerPoint. I use this now to turn on a big flood light when blue iris has motion detection in back yard.

Wow!!! Pretty cool! I think I might have to buy one. Heck yeah!

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Wow!!! Pretty cool! I think I might have to buy one. Heck yeah!
Yup. It is very cool. Let me know if you want me info.
You will also need rftoy to decode the RF signals for the wireless PowerPoint adapters.
The wireless PowerPoint adapters you get from eBay. I paid $40 aud for 4 of them. Approx $30 USD.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

everwake

n3wb
Reaction score
Even though the thread is old, another way of doing it is using ESP8266 chips.

I run ESPeasy on ESP8266 wifi connected devices, built-in to among other things microwave and motion controllers.
in my case the sensors report to a domoticz home automation software, which in turn triggers blue iris ( if needed) using http calls.
the delay from motion to start of recording is about 1s though

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An update to my 'scripts'.
I find geo-fencing doesn't work to well.
So i use my scripts to do a 'ping' to detect if one of two phones are home. If both phones are away, then i change traffic signal to green.
For the front door camera, if traffic signal is green, and it detects motion, i play a MP3, which is a combination file of police sirens, etc.
The post man has made some comments on it. :)

My partner has a windows phone, which takes ages to register on the network. So to fix that issue of playing the siren when they arrive home, i have now setup number plate detection. The script will check 1 camera JPG files. And if it find their number plate, it will turn change the traffic signal to "red". Number plate recognition is using open source algorithm of ALPR.

Beautiful piece of technology.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nice work..

opensprinkler and openalpr are indeed beautiful pieces of technology :)