Using own SMTP server for email notifications, any idea?

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I found that using other email services even such as gmail are highly unreliable for purpose of sending email notifications from camera or NVR.

I have access to SMTP server based on Exchange which has authenticated relay enabled. I'am using it successfully with backup software for notifications but it simply doesn't seem to work with Hikvision. I tried various settings.

Has anyone had any good luck with such setup or maybe any suggestions how to get this to work? I'm also open for using alternative email server software as long as it is fairly secure and stable but would rather use Exchange since I already have it setup. I am using some basic authentication since don't want to leave the relay anonymous.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have used blat successfully in the past (I'm not sure how secure it is though, don't think it supports SSL/TLS).

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have used blat successfully in the past (I'm not sure how secure it is though, don't think it supports SSL/TLS).
By secure I mostly mean that I don't want anyone to gain access and start spamming or using the server for personal needs. Exchange would be best but I'm not sure why it's not working. And I already asked this question here before but seems like nobody knows.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Other than me being skeptical that another server would be more reliable that GMail... I find that getting SMTP servers to work is a voodoo combination of ports (465 or 25 or 587) and SSL types . For some reason the various forms of security for SMTP has confused me even though I fancy myself no rookie with networking and SSL.
of course it would be more reliable. because one has full control over it. gmail is known to change authentication settings without warning causing devices using the service to stop being able to send emails.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I prefer to think of it as Google hiring hundreds or thousands of staff to make sure it is secure, minimize spam and always up. I tried my own linux mail server once and it was the biggest pain in the arse I've had to deal with in a long time.

I actually use MailGun service now but my arguments are the same.
for email system with sensitive data security is important, for a security camera notification it is not as critical. plus they could at least announce their changes. for such a big company with so many resources to provide such bad service it is a shame.

setting up and managing a mail server is not too problematic if you know what your are doing.

only problem is Hikvisions software is very picky with settings and protocols that it uses.

Reaction score
The issue is the TLS version used by the cameras. Some of the newer firmwares now have the required TLS version.