Using POE IP camera as a peephole camera at the main entrance with a video monitor

jsan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have already installed 5 hikvision cameras around the house. I have been trying to find a way to get rid of the peephole in the door and put a camera outside and a monitor inside by the door dedicated to that camera. While also being a regular POE Ip cam running along with 5 existing hikvision cameras on the hikvision NVR.

Now the way I was thinking of doing this was connecting the camera as I normally connect any security camera using a cat5e or cat6 cable. This would run to the NVR and integrate with the security system. Now for the monitor I would run another cable from the video out that is on the camera which you use to set up cameras.

Would this set up work Can video out on the cameras be used for this purpose? would both video outputs work at the same time?

Any other suggestions out there that offer 1080p quality or equivalent and while not costing arm n leg?

Thanks.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Using POE IP camera as a peephole camera at the main entrance with a video monito

Low end used windows 8 tablets cost around $70 and you could use one as a dedicated wall mounted camera viewer. The image quality would likely beat the heck out of anything you connected to an analog video port. But the tradeoff is it would have all the latency of IP video and would run on WiFi and you would pretty much need it to be streaming 24/7 or else it would not be going when you wanted it.

You might achieve the same thing with an Android tablet running the IP Cam Viewer app, but I would trust a windows machine more to stay online.

jsan

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Using POE IP camera as a peephole camera at the main entrance with a video monito

Low end used windows 8 tablets cost around $70 and you could use one as a dedicated wall mounted camera viewer. The image quality would likely beat the heck out of anything you connected to an analog video port. But the tradeoff is it would have all the latency of IP video and would run on WiFi and you would pretty much need it to be streaming 24/7 or else it would not be going when you wanted it.

You might achieve the same thing with an Android tablet running the IP Cam Viewer app, but I would trust a windows machine more to stay online.
I did consider the tablet route, but like you I thought about the latency over wifi. So that's why I was considering using that video out. What kind of resolution does that put out? The monitor that I will install will be probably 7"-10"

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

You could get a separate nvr like the eyesurv ion or something for 90 bucks

classna

n3wb
Reaction score

How about using 7 inch winbook tw700 ($59) or 8 inch winbook tw801 ($99) that runs windows 8.1 and has a full size USB port? You can use USB to LAN RJ45 ethernet adapter ($3 on ebay) to connect your camera?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Yep, Winbook and HP both have windows 8.1 tablets under $100. The screen resolution is about 1280x800 on all of them. WiFi doesn't really add to the latency; the problem is it is less reliable and you would be better off not streaming video over WiFi 24 hours a day since that could harm performance of other WiFi usage. You could use a USB to ethernet LAN adapter like classna suggested.

jsan

n3wb
Reaction score

How about using 7 inch winbook tw700 ($59) or 8 inch winbook tw801 ($99) that runs windows 8.1 and has a full size USB port? You can use USB to LAN RJ45 ethernet adapter ($3 on ebay) to connect your camera?
But then would the camera only be connected to the tablet, or will there still be some way for it to be connected to the NVR with rest of my surveillance system?

Because my goal was to have have a POE IP camera outside the door and hooked to the NVR like my other cameras. Then I wanted to get another feed from that same camera and put that into a monitor inside the house. So the camera would work as a normal security camera and also work as a peephole camera.

If I only get the video out to the monitor and nothing to the NVR then I think there are cheaper ways to do that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

You'd just connect the tablet to the NVR's web interface or use an app or whatever is available, or use VLC media player to stream from the camera directly. The NVR would have access and the tablet would have access at the same time.