Using rpisurv/raspipc with dual NIC BI setup, am I missing something?

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using rpisurv/raspipc with dual NIC BI setup, am I missing something?

Maybe I missed a detail somewhere in all the threads, but if the cameras are on a LAN that only BI can see, how exactly to you stream RTSP directly from the cams to the RPi as I've seen suggested in various posts? Short of wiring the RPi directly to the switch of the cams, how do you access those LAN addresses?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can try streaming from BI to your rpisurv setup, I have my Pi on the same isolated network on the cams, however I also stream to my Home Assistant using the setup below and assume it will work for you too.

First, assign a static IP address to your raspberry pi. Next, go into BI under Settings / Web Server and press Advanced button. Add your PI IP address to the list at the top, with a carat sign (i.e. ^192.168.1.10). This will allow access to the streams from BI without a password.

Next, in rpisuv, add your cameras by short name. If you BI system IP address is 192.168.1.100 and your short camera name is Garage, using the default 81 port, do add the following:

Depending on your version of BI, he added RTSP also, see 5.3.1 - July 16, 2020 Your Blue Iris web server now is also an RTSP server.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. So there's still a load on the BI server? Somehow I got the impression from the original thread that you can "just use the direct url of the camera for RTSP feed", but this does assume you have the Pi hard linked to the separate camera LAN (on a dual NIC BI or VLAN).

Also thought this was intended as a way to offload from the BI server when you wanted a live feed, but your solution looks like resources are still being used by the BI server? Is this much different than just using the Pi to run UI3?

Just trying to get it all clear in my head, as it would be nice to use something like tinyCamPro for a quick low resource live view-no need for all the controls that UI3 or direct access to BI would give.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, taking the cam feed from BI using MJPG technique will increase CPU usage on BI server. Not sure about RTSP from BI, as I have yet to try it but I would think it's less than using MJPG.