Uverse Arris NVG589 Port Forwarding for BI?

progear

n3wb
Reaction score
Forwarding ports on my Netgear on Comcast is a breeze, but I just installed BI on a setup that is using the Uverse Arris NVG589 Modem/Router and I am having a little difficulty getting the remote access setup? Anybody familiar with using this modem/router? Thx.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may have to set the Uverse to bridged mode, and use a separate router, such as an ASUS.
You may have to have AT&T do this remotely.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
AT&T doesnt do full on bridged mode anymore its a half baked bridged mode

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Been here - Done that... It's possible but with a few extra steps.

1. DO NOT attempt to turn that device into a bridged device.
2. Ask the user/account holder to call AT&T and request newer hardware. This is an older generation box with limited functions and should be replaced. However, some service areas won't replace it or have such old technology (VDSL offering only) they get all the countries hand me down hardware.
3. If you can not get the modem/router replaced use the guide above. However, be aware that the modem does NOT support services like DYN and NOIP so once you set port forwarding you will still need to address the Dynamic IP situation.
4. Dyndns still offers a desktop background application for these environments. Download it, enter the same dyn account info like you would in a normal router and the program will run in the windows background. It performs an IP address cross check at X interval and if it has changed will then push the new IP info to Dyn.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, most of my clients with AT&T uVerse in this area that had Moto/Arris NVG589's a year ago or more or had 2wire 3801HGV's 2-4 years ago now have a Pace 5268AC with which I have successfully accessed BI remotely but not solely with the Pace. Even after following their instructions for port forwarding here it still would not work. I spent hours and never was able to successfully forward a single port as I have (as most anyone has) in the past on 2 dozen routers from D-Link, TP-LINK, Netgear and Linksys. What I ended up doing was installing a TP-LINK router with the Pace and did the port forwarding with it.

The Pace modem is at 192.168.1.254. I set the TP-LINK router's LAN at 192.168.0.1 on a different subnet, along with the Blue Iris server at 192.168.0.252. In the TP-LINK router I forwarded port 8080 to the static IP of the Blue Iris server. In The TP-LINK router the wireless is disabled, DHCP is Enabled, WAN is set to Dynamic with Primary DNS as 192.168.1.254 (gateway), I gave it a Hostname I could easily recognize from the Pace, ('TL-WR740N'), ran an Ethernet patch cable from LAN on the Pace to WAN on the TP-LINK router. On the Pace under "Settings/Firewall/Applications, Pinholes & DMZ" I created a custom application as follows: I chose my router 'TL-WR740N', checked 'Allow Individual application', chose 'Add new user-defined application', named it 'BlueIrisTCP', saved it, went back and chose 'BlueIrisTCP' from the scroll box on the left and added to right side, saved it and was done. Power-cycled the Pace, waited 60 seconds or so until Internet was 'up', power-cycled the TP-LINK and waited 60 seconds or so then attempted access with the pre-configured BI app on my iPhone with Wi-Fi off and only on AT&T cellular LTE. It worked! The Pace modem assigned the IP by DHCP to the TP-LINK of 192.168.1.69. There's a couple of screenshots of the Pace's GUI below.

There may be another way with the Pace 5268AC but after hours of trying different stuff I did this and it works well; it's been in place for over a year without a hiccup. If it's doing a 'Double NAT' one would not notice with the naked eye because the uVerse Internet is so fast (20m down/2M up) for this client.

Also, like DynDNS, NO-IP has a free update client that runs in background to update your hostname with your current dynamic IP address whenever it changes. That's what is running on the Blue Iris server at this particular installation. The TP-LINK router above will also handle custom Dynamic DNS but I chose not to use it; it may work fine but since I had been using NO-IP's 'DUC' program for a couple of years and had no issues I stuck with it. Hey, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', right?

Settings-Firewall-Status.jpg
Settings-Diag-NAT.jpg

Settings-Status.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you see in the ATT help page that there is a Port Forwarding Tool you need to run to activate PF on the account?

True, most of my clients with AT&T uVerse in this area that had Moto/Arris NVG589's a year ago or more or had 2wire 3801HGV's 2-4 years ago now have a Pace 5268AC with which I have successfully accessed BI remotely but not solely with the Pace. Even after following their instructions for port forwarding here it still would not work. I spent hours and never was able to successfully forward a single port as I have (as most anyone has) in the past on 2 dozen routers from D-Link, TP-LINK, Netgear and Linksys. What I ended up doing was installing a TP-LINK router with the Pace and did the port forwarding with it.

The Pace modem is at 192.168.1.254. I set the TP-LINK router's LAN at 192.168.0.1 on a different subnet, along with the Blue Iris server at 192.168.0.252. In the TP-LINK router I forwarded port 8080 to the static IP of the Blue Iris server. In The TP-LINK router the wireless is disabled, DHCP is Enabled, WAN is set to Dynamic with Primary DNS as 192.168.1.254 (gateway), I gave it a Hostname I could easily recognize from the Pace, ('TL-WR740N'), ran an Ethernet patch cable from LAN on the Pace to WAN on the TP-LINK router. On the Pace under "Settings/Firewall/Applications, Pinholes & DMZ" I created a custom application as follows: I chose my router 'TL-WR740N', checked 'Allow Individual application', chose 'Add new user-defined application', named it 'BlueIrisTCP', saved it, went back and chose 'BlueIrisTCP' from the scroll box on the left and added to right side, saved it and was done. Power-cycled the Pace, waited 60 seconds or so until Internet was 'up', power-cycled the TP-LINK and waited 60 seconds or so then attempted access with the pre-configured BI app on my iPhone with Wi-Fi off and only on AT&T cellular LTE. It worked! The Pace modem assigned the IP by DHCP to the TP-LINK of 192.168.1.69. There's a couple of screenshots of the Pace's GUI below.

There may be another way with the Pace 5268AC but after hours of trying different stuff I did this and it works well; it's been in place for over a year without a hiccup. If it's doing a 'Double NAT' one would not notice with the naked eye because the uVerse Internet is so fast (20m down/2M up) for this client.

Also, like DynDNS, NO-IP has a free update client that runs in background to update your hostname with your current dynamic IP address whenever it changes. That's what is running on the Blue Iris server at this particular installation. The TP-LINK router above will also handle custom Dynamic DNS but I chose not to use it; it may work fine but since I had been using NO-IP's 'DUC' program for a couple of years and had no issues I stuck with it. Hey, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', right?

View attachment 14684
View attachment 14685

View attachment 14686

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I did but did not or could not try the 'the tool' because:
1) It says "....If you receive a warning message, you will need to visit the AT&T Port Forwarding tool to enable Port Forwarding on your account. Then, you can continue with the steps in this solution." I received no warning message but...
2) I clicked on it anyway (using IE11) and the link took me to a blank white page entitled 'AT&T Troubleshooting and Resolve' and finally after about 2 minutes (seriously!) it asked me to log in with my AT&T account info. I tried my AT&T mobile account username and password and it was no good, apparently it wants landline account info or the client's info. I don't have an AT&T landline and the client did not make that info available to me.

So I did what I had to do and it works. Maybe someone else that is trying to perform port forwarding on a Pace 5268 does have an AT&T account login, can try that tool and report back.

Last edited: