v4.7.6.10 font rendering problem

CapeData

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am using BI Tools to display weather conditions as an overlay. After upgrading to v4.7.6.10 of BI, some symbols (such as the "degree" ascii 176, and "forward slash" ascii 47, are rendering as a diamond with a question mark, inside. See attached screen capture.

Reverting to v4.7.6.9 corrects the problem.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I further narrowed this down to text overlays loaded from a file on disk via Blue Iris Options > Macros (e.g. Blue Iris Tools weather output). This indicates that the files are being interpreted as ASCII which does not contain characters numbered above 127.

CapeData

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I further narrowed this down to text overlays loaded from a file on disk via Blue Iris Options > Macros (e.g. Blue Iris Tools weather output). This indicates that the files are being interpreted as ASCII which does not contain characters numbered above 127.
Thanks for your input!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It turns out BI can load and render those text files correctly if I convert them to UTF-8 encoding using an advanced text editor. Regardless, something obviously changed about the way BI interprets the file content since it worked fine before.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I also was seeing the 'diamond with a question mark' symbols when using BIT *.txt files for overlays. I emailed Ken on 7/25 and shared that these files were recognized by NotePad++ as 'ANSI'. And that I had no problem when I used UTF-8 encoding. Just as bp2008 observed.

BIT file as-opened...

upload_2018-7-28_11-33-57.png

now the same file when viewed as UTF-8 encoded...

upload_2018-7-28_11-34-19.png

Ken replied on 7/26. "Thanks I am going to have the code recognize UTF-8 vs ANSI and proceed accordingly."

For me, the symbol display problem went away when Ken pushed out update 4.7.6.11.

BTW, while trying to learn a bit more about character sets and encoding I read these helpful links
Unicode, UTF, ASCII, ANSI format differences
No excuses

Last edited: