variable record framerate based on motion detection

Reaction score
I was wondering if Blue Iris supports recording at varying rates depending on motion detection.
Ideally, I want to use direct to disk rather than re-encode.

So maybe 5 frames a second then if motion is detected 15 frames.

My cameras are Hik vision Easy IP 3.0 Dome's and I don't beleive I can do anything on the camera itself.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not the answer to your question but if you are using h.264 or h.265 the bandwidth will be reduced by the compression. If you trying to conserve processing power at the back end then that doesn't count for much unless all you do is record it and can ensure it is compressed all the way to the storage

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So maybe 5 frames a second then if motion is detected 15 frames.

My cameras are Hik vision Easy IP 3.0 Dome's and I don't beleive I can do anything on the camera itself.
If your camera supports sub-streams, you can try (on the camera) configuring them for different FPS rates. Each sub-stream should have its own RTSP url, so you can set each sub-stream up as its own camera in Blue Iris. Have the camera using the faster bit rate not set to record continuously. Have the camera using the slower bit rate set to record 24x7 and when it detects motion, have it set to trigger the other camera (with the faster bit rate) to record.

One disadvantage to that is that with most cameras, only one sub-stream can do full resolution; the other sub-streams are less than full resolution. So on the sub-stream with the slower FPS, you may have to run a reduced resolution. This all depends on what the camera supports.

Personally, I have the bit rate on my cameras set to Variable and run at 15 FPS. That doesn't usually generate a lot of bandwidth or result in sub-par recording quality.

Reaction score
Thanks.

Yes this is about saving storage but I want to keep CPU/power down so re-encoding isn't an option.
I'm only recording motion at the minute but wanted to capture what was going on 24/7 and retain for 30 days.

The idea about the substream is an interesting one. I think it only supports 640 or something like that but it might serve the purpose.
I did wonder if I could just capture the key frames set the FPS to something like 20 with 2 key frames a second.
the other option I thought of was setting up some lower cost storage and archive to that every 7 days.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) How many cameras do you have ?
2) what is there resolution ?
3) what is there current frame rate and Iframe value.

A normal surveillance camera at 1080P with a frame rate of 15 and an Iframe of 15, rate type of VBR and a bit rate of 8192 k/bs will use about 1.6 TB for 30 days of storage. (this is from my current system) Disk storage is cheap.

Bandwidth calculator | CCTV Calculator

Reaction score
Present setup is :
1 x 8MP
3 x 5MP
1 x 2MP

recording at 20 fps (on motion) which can be dropped to 15fps.
I also want to add 2 cameras to this.

Not looking to upgrade computer so just want to squeeze 24/7 coverage out of this.
I could drop the resolution but this defeats the object of having high res camera.

Adding a low cost backup drive would allow me to do this but I was hoping to avoid this.

Reaction score
So i've been doing some testing and it seems the second stream resolution varies depending on the camera .
Some also support a 3rd stream of slightly higher quality, but the resolution is generally very low.

It's a bit of shame you can't trade off some of the quality on stream 1 for slightly better quality on 2 and dump the 3rd altogether.

That said even at a low resolution of only 480 and 720p, for 24/7 context around the higher resolution motion capture this solution works for now.

Although now I have a CPU issue so can't 24/7 record on all cameras.
It's probably time for an upgrade after all.

Thanks for the suggestions.