varifocal camera recommendation

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so what we are looking at in the pic is a swann 2MP HD SDI fixed lens dome (costco system) that is about 22ft high and 80ft out from that garage. Looking for something that is going to easily ID a person attempting to get in that side door or walking around the left side of the garage where a high-dollar horizontal air compressor resides. The Swann NVR is now piggy-backed onto a BlueIris system, so looking to put in a varifocal 3-5MP IP bullet here, DS-2CD2632F-I is the first thing that comes to mind, but i am open to other suggestions? LED lighting will be installed on front right corner to light up front and side at night, so not overly concerned with IR.

Screenshot_2016-04-08-09-53-59.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You will be wasting time with that vf at 80 ft reach. Huisun mini Ptz is the best bet if you are ok with no warranty or support.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
http://ipvm.com/calculator calculates 46 pixels per foot (PPF) for the 2632F at 80 feet when zoomed all the way in. I don't think that will meet your desire of easily IDing a stranger, especially at night. The recommended PPF is 80.

I'd suggest figuring out what the width is of the area you want to cover, and use the above calculator to plug in your distance of 80 ft, and look at how specific cameras, or sensor size/focal length combinations would perform.

As an example, the Huisun/Imporx 10x PTZ that Klasipca mentioned is a 1080p with a 1/2.8" sensor, and a focal length of 5.1-51mm. If you plug in the resolution of 1080p, the imager size of 1/2.8, the distance of 80ft, and a focal length of 22mm (which would be zoomed in to about 4.3x), the calculator figures a PPF of 81 and a width of 23.4ft. If a 23 foot field of view will cover both the roll up door and the entry door, this might be just what you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator: