VCSEL IR Laser 850nm illuminator for long distance spot IR 250+ ft

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since you're a good POC now (haha!) if you would ask, I would like more beams run at less power. I know the circuit he's got in the back end there and shiver while it's OK, there's a reason laser power supplies have a few more components. The chip is the standard one used in most of those IR illuminators- I found spec sheet once- it has an option for a CdS sensor to turn on/off. Otherwise you have to use a relay to the 12V adapter.

So... yeah... these MCPCBs fit the standard housing too- you could run it at 1/3 the current per Laser and they should last forever.

Also- you said the 2ndary lense was removable ? I'd want to buy a batch of the 'next focal' length up. I think 7 degrees would work, but 15 or 30. I don't care if they sit on my shelf, they can join all the other stuff :)
I tried and couldn't find these hexagon housing laser lens anywhere(AliExpress ebay, digikey...) Maybe in using the wrong search terms. I did messaged this seller before and he don't sell the lens separately.

He is willing to customize the power and I think the next step up is 30 degree lens.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So.... the 9 laser chips illuminator arrived today, it works and it is good! run lurk warm (not hot at all, i can hold forever) even in my chilly basement but since it will only be on at night with no Sun, that should not be an issue. Same great tight and bright as the 4 chips one. I was able to knock down my gain to 25 with 1/1000 shutter (enough for my head on application) and 100% open iris. It seem to be a case of diminishing return though, upping the shutter to 1/2000 some plates start to become dimmer than I would like

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Curious- how are you turning your IR illuminator on @Bitslizer ? I need to keep mine on past twilight / morning- it's turning off too soon.
I could wire it to a smart switch, but I'd really rather use an alarm (but that would entail modifying the cable coming out of the unit to bypass/solder in an 'alarm in' wire for the illuminator)

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used a sharpie to tint the sensor and that helped a little thinking to either build a hood out shade of some sort or tape it over completely and use a smart outlet plug that I can program to match my camera's switch time

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The ebay link in the first post no longer appears to be valid. Does anyone have a new link, or other direct contact information for the seller, or another source for something comparable?

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.