Vehicle Detection NVR5208 with SD6CE245GB-HNR PTZ

Jackal99

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the correct setup to create alarms and show the vehicles that drive by (plates would be nice but I don't think ANPR works). I went into AI, parameters, SMD and enabled it for Camera and recorder and select human and motor vehicle. Go to AI search and nothing shows up? So what am I doing wrong?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Use IVS not SMD

Depending on the exact model, the NVR doesnt do ANPR, it only accepts it from an ANPR enabled camera.

Jackal99

n3wb
Reaction score
Use IVS not SMD

Depending on the exact model, the NVR doesnt do ANPR, it only accepts it from an ANPR enabled camera.
My understanding was that IVS just did simple object crossed a line? I need actual vehicle detection, don't care about people walking by.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My understanding was that IVS just did simple object crossed a line? I need actual vehicle detection, don't care about people walking by.
No, IVS typically has AI filters for human/vehicle just like SMD, it just works better. Two different technologies with similar goals but SMD is still an overlay of sorts in old fashioned 10 year old Motion detection.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NVR5208, is that not a super old model? No 4KS2 or -i at the end of it?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the correct setup to create alarms and show the vehicles that drive by (plates would be nice but I don't think ANPR works). I went into AI, parameters, SMD and enabled it for Camera and recorder and select human and motor vehicle. Go to AI search and nothing shows up? So what am I doing wrong?

Ok so thats a new EI model, so the NVR will do some AI, but not ANPR. You would need an ANPR featured camera to do that, then the NVR can record it.

As far as why you arent seeing anything in AI search, are you sure you are recording the AI in the NVR Storage tab? You must set this for each camera
record-IVS-AI.jpg
Then in AI search you should see something like this
facedetect1.jpg IVSdatabse1.jpg

Jackal99

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so thats a new EI model, so the NVR will do some AI, but not ANPR. You would need an ANPR featured camera to do that, then the NVR can record it.

As far as why you arent seeing anything in AI search, are you sure you are recording the AI in the NVR Storage tab? You must set this for each camera
View attachment 171797
Then in AI search you should see something like this
View attachment 171798 View attachment 171799
Yes, that was the problem, rookie mistake on my side. Thanks Bigredfish

pc750

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a SD5A425 Cams doing plate captures here in Aus. These are recorded into 608 series NVRs. In the camera it is set up with by creating the location preset first, then under the Event / Smart Plan / Create a smart plan with Video Metadata for your preset, then go to Event / Metadata and create the capture settings for the preset. In my NVR I can then search via AI Motor Vehicle search for images. It then shows thumbnails of the vehicles detected and on most will have a zoomed in image of the plate (not OCR). I have had to use older firmware to maintain this functionality in this model camera. HTH.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a SD5A425 Cams doing plate captures here in Aus. These are recorded into 608 series NVRs. In the camera it is set up with by creating the location preset first, then under the Event / Smart Plan / Create a smart plan with Video Metadata for your preset, then go to Event / Metadata and create the capture settings for the preset. In my NVR I can then search via AI Motor Vehicle search for images. It then shows thumbnails of the vehicles detected and on most will have a zoomed in image of the plate (not OCR). I have had to use older firmware to maintain this functionality in this model camera. HTH.
This is a perfect example of why we say not to update unless one knows exactly what the update does!

This is important to you and would be lost in an update. And some of these units are being hard coded to not let older firmware go back on!