Vehicle With Altered License Plate

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
This vehicle was driving slowly through the streets up here with no headlights just before 6 AM. The front license plate appeared altered. Not sure about the back plate. The final shot in this video shows both the front and back plates side by side.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how in the heck did you get that plate from the video? what kind of camera was that taken with, and finally what software did you use? Awesome clarity for so far away!

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
how in the heck did you get that plate from the video? what kind of camera was that taken with, and finally what software did you use? Awesome clarity for so far away!
The camera used for the license plates is the Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12. See the following thread for a discussion of the pros and cons of this camera:
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

To merge the license plates together in the final shot of the video I used CyberLink PhotoDirector.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did the high frame rate of the cams or the high megapixels contribute more to being able to pull those frames from the video? thanks!

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wait; so you specifically got a camera just for the purpose of reading plates that pass your house? Not a bad idea

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I find that cars with the headlights off make it a lot easier for my cameras to get the license plate numbers. If the headlights are on it is probably a 95% chance I will not be able to get a plate number at night. I do not have any cameras solely configured for license plates.

By the way the car was definitely up to no good.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Amazing results from the LPR camera and it's not even expensive!

As for the licence plates, contact your local law enforcement with the footage. Anyone cruising the neighbourhood at 6am with no lights on and an altered front plate is up to no good. The plate looks like it's been deliberately altered with either a non permanent marker pen or grease.

I'm guessing they've not altered the rear either because they forgot or because they figured out if law enforcement followed them, they'd be looking at the rear and so spot an altered fake registration number a mile away and pull them. They probably figured, with an altered front, it's likely going to go un-noticed.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
Betting the altered plate is for red light cameras, and possibly toll booth cameras.
People think that by doing that crap they can get away with it...
all ya gotta do is call the P.d. and tell them about the car with altered plates and when they verify it, he will be cited big time.
some people do not realize, Most of those cameras take pix of the front and back.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Watching "The Grand Tour", the guys related the story of an enterprising gentleman who snuck up on a speed-trap camera van parked along the motorway, removed its plates, put them on his car, and then sped past that speed-trap van at some phenomenal speed! Now that made me laugh.

It was in one of the first season episodes where they were discussing speed cameras, I don't remember which one, though.

Alas, the killjoys at Snopes claim that this is not a true story. They're no fun! :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This vehicle was driving slowly through the streets up here with no headlights just before 6 AM. The front license plate appeared altered. Not sure about the back plate. The final shot in this video shows both the front and back plates side by side.
Well I'm surprised, the unaltered plate belongs to a 2003 Nissan Sentra (an apparent match to the car in the video) and the vehicle doesn't even show up as stolen.
It's was however a total loss in a collision that occurred on 6/4/2018 so the current owner probably bought it for dirt cheap at auction.

It doesn't look like they've had these license plates long and altering them is a pretty stupid thing to do.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My camera doesn't care about headlights or not. Works just as well with them on or off:

Front license plate at about 250 feet.

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 3.04.47 PM.png

Rear license plate at 350 feet from the camera. Street is 300 feet long + 50 feet up my driveway to the camera's location.

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 3.04.05 PM.png

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I'm surprised, the unaltered plate belongs to a 2003 Nissan Sentra (an apparent match to the car in the video) and the vehicle doesn't even show up as stolen.
It's was however a total loss in a collision that occurred on 6/4/2018 so the current owner probably bought it for dirt cheap at auction.

It doesn't look like they've had these license plates long and altering them is a pretty stupid thing to do.
Most likely altered for toll evasion cameras.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Lulu5kamz, what are you using to illuminate the license plate? You are getting incredible, reflective illumination!

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Just using the built-in camera IR. The exact camera was mentioned in one of the posts above.