Velvet.....

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The lead deer was the scout checking to see if it's safe for the others to cross the street.

I experience this once while driving when a large buck stepped into the middle of road and stood there, refusing to move. I was some distance away, but after I stopped he crossed the street and about 10 deer followed, similar to what the video showed. This is when I realized that the buck was acting as the crossing guard. I gained a lot respect for their intelligence and courage after that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I've seen of deer/car collisions, they usually happen when the deer has been spooked and is at a dead run, focused on getting away from something and ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time to the detriment of all involved. I had one run into the side of my Suburban years ago, fall down, and I watched it keep right on running when it got back up.

Reaction score
The lead deer was the scout checking to see if it's safe for the others to cross the street.

I experience this once while driving when a large buck stepped into the middle of road and stood there, refusing to move. I was some distance away, but after I stopped he crossed the street and about 10 deer followed, similar to what the video showed. This is when I realized that the buck was acting as the crossing guard. I gained a lot respect for their intelligence and courage after that.
The rest of the story was on my backyard camera. That lead deer was alone, eating my goddam tomatoes!!! Bastard! LOL It was out there munching away for quite a while, and something spooked it. It ran to the front and paused as shown. In the backyard there was NOTHING going on... then suddenly all the other deer came running through the back yards of the houses on my block. The path they took shown by the red line is odd-- usual deer traffic is from street to street-- from right to left in this pic going between the houses.

BTW--- Deer in the pitch-black of my backyard are VERY hard to see. They seem to be so well insulated that IR light does not really differentiate them from grass. You have to look for tiny differences in contrast, and some IR-light reflection in the eyes. I should probably put some BIG IR light banks up.... maybe...

1629075358285.png

EDIT: I LOVE being in an area where FEW neighbors put up fences-- Openness is a great thing when you love seeing wildlife on your cams. :)

Reaction score
Here is shot from a 2mp Dahua vari-focal...
this was the night after the OP vid.... I believe it is the same deer as the first buck...
My other cam in back is a cheap 5mp Amcrest with about the same sensor size--- BAD night quality overall.

1629087771755.jpeg