Verizon Jetpack Connection

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have moved to a rural area where only Satellite or Verizon MiFi is an option for internet service.
I have 6 Dahua cameras setup in our barn and need access to them remotely. They work great on my LAN.
A little research shows satellite service is not an option for port forwarding so... I have a Verizon MiFi Jetpack 791L with "unlimited" plan and thanks to an external antenna, I have a strong 4G signal.
I have watched a few tutorials and used a Tplink N300 to grab the wireless signal from the MiFi and used a Ethernet cable to connect (bridge) the Tplink to a Netgear Router. My internet is working thru the Netgear Router, but I can't seem to get Blue Iris outside the LAN.
I know it sounds like a crazy setup, but that's the best I can come up with. Looking for any help on setting up the port forwarding properly. I did do the wizard, but it fails on the "Remote Access Test".
Thank you.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cellular carriers often set up their networks in a manner that prevents remote access to your network. The only way to access it is through something that maintains a continuous outbound connection like hamachi or ngrok.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Cellular carriers often set up their networks in a manner that prevents remote access to your network. The only way to access it is through something that maintains a continuous outbound connection like hamachi or ngrok.
I recently installed cameras on a mobile vehicle where a cellular carrier was the only option, while port forwarding / vpn weren't avail. P2P on the NVR on the other hand worked fine, but that won't help much here. Have you tried setting up a VPN? I wonder if a router with a VPN & DDNS built in (like Asus) would do the trick?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently installed cameras on a mobile vehicle where a cellular carrier was the only option, while port forwarding / vpn weren't avail. P2P on the NVR on the other hand worked fine, but that won't help much here. Have you tried setting up a VPN? I wonder if a router with a VPN & DDNS built in (like Asus) would do the trick?
No, generally your own VPN server won't help. If it's a vacation home you could establish a vpn connection to your primary residence. In other words an outbound vpn connection on cellular to your vpn server.

P2P also works in these situations, but I don't trust it quite as much as some of the other options.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
No, generally your own VPN server won't help. If it's a vacation home you could establish a vpn connection to your primary residence. In other words an outbound vpn connection on cellular to your vpn server.

P2P also works in these situations, but I don't trust it quite as much as some of the other options.
Good to know, thanks! I don't trust P2P as much either, but it was the only option at the time and they insisted.

awahl101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
we have a house with only satellite, setup hamachi and add it to your devices. works well.

satellite and celullar are behind carrier grade nats so you cant open port or anything to connect.

message me if you need a hand

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For work we use Cradlepoint routers with Verizon sims in them. I was able to get port forwarding to work on that.. maybe it’s because we are a govt account though. We have to pay for a static IP too. Might be an option. The router itself is $600 I think though.. but if that’s your only option. This was for streaming a camera from a vehicle. Learned real fast that video eats up your data when multiple people left the feed open all weekend.

Ideally for security you’d open a port for OpenVPN or something similar rather than directly opening a port to an NVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used a AT&T Branded/Netgear Mobile MiFi Router/HotSpot which receives a 4G signal and allows one to create a WiFi network. I connected an Asus RT68U (in wireless wireless bridge mode) to the Mobile HotSpot unit which allowed me to wire the entire shebang it to our local LAN. We use this device for LAN fail-over connectivity in the event our business cable goes down. Thing is, all ports were blocked out of the box for some reason or another (I forget why) and we had pay pay AT&T a $500.00 flat fee to provision a static WAN IP address...after that...no problema.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.
I like the idea of the cradlepoint and the hamachi / ngrok.
Does the hamachi ngrok offer a way to view it on your mobile device or is it PC only?

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For work we use Cradlepoint routers with Verizon sims in them. I was able to get port forwarding to work on that.. maybe it’s because we are a govt account though. We have to pay for a static IP too. Might be an option. The router itself is $600 I think though.. but if that’s your only option. This was for streaming a camera from a vehicle. Learned real fast that video eats up your data when multiple people left the feed open all weekend.

Ideally for security you’d open a port for OpenVPN or something similar rather than directly opening a port to an NVR.
What Cradlepoint router are y'all using that accepts a sim card?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Cradlepoint IBR 600. Not sure what sub model. Believe it’s this one Cradlepoint COR IBR600 Series | Cradlepoint

We chose it for the on-board WiFi as well. We have two in service and they’ve been rock solid. I know our ambulances in the area use them as well but they have a different model - not sure what one.

Be sure to check with Verizon to ensure they can give you a static IP and remove port blocking on your account before you spend the money on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: I decided to give Hamachi LogMeIn a try. It works well so far. Need to use it for a few weeks to say for sure, but definitely an alternative to people with no choice by Satellite service. Thank you.