Versions of Windows

itfiveo

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to install the most up to date, but stripped down version of Windows possible (to save on system resources) and still have BI fully functional. I would like to install the new 4.0 edition to take advantage of the the 64-bit architecture. I was wondering if it will work the any of the Windows embedded versions.

Example:
Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro
Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise

Computer
i7 3770
8gb RAM (enough or do I need more)
2 2TB Seagate HDD

7 Hikvision 3MP cameras set at 1920x1080 20fps, variable bitrate (I haven't played with this much yet)

Any other suggestions will be welcomed as I am just getting started with this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt the windows version will matter much...just install a 64 bit version, disable all visual effects via the control panel. 8gb of ram is way more than enough..4 would be fine as well.
Have you purchased the pc and parts or is that just a list?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That PC sounds fine to me. Not sure on the 20fps part but probably will be fine.

Full Windows does not introduce a significant overhead on any competent system like that. Even a home/professional windows 8.1 x64 will only use a small fraction of the RAM and an insignificant amount of CPU. The disk usage (> 30 GB likely) might be avoidable with a more stripped-down Windows install, but that is also insignificant except on budget mobile devices so I wouldn't worry about it.