Vertical Mount PTZ?

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to wall mount (vertically) a compact PTZ. The camera location is on my front porch about 9’ above grade, 7’ above porch floor level. 3’ horizontal

I understand that tilt will be a limitation and most offer a 0°-90°range.

The Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW-DE is specified to have a -5° tilt. Would this offer a suitable downward field of view?

Or is there another camera option that would be suitable for this installation?

I really, really want to avoid a clunky looking mounting bracket if possible.

Coal_Cracker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should be able to flip the camera 180° so the tilt works downward.
I was just looking at the in ceiling 2mp PTZ and saw it has a 180° auto flip. I have 2 locations where I won’t be able to gain in ceiling access and will have to mount them on the wall and was wondering the same thing.
Please correct me if I’m wrong. F326368D-84D9-4C72-93EA-0FE78A13FE25.jpeg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to wall mount (vertically) a compact PTZ. The camera location is on my front porch about 9’ above grade, 7’ above porch floor level. 3’ horizontal

I understand that tilt will be a limitation and most offer a 0°-90°range.

The Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW-DE is specified to have a -5° tilt. Would this offer a suitable downward field of view?

Or is there another camera option that would be suitable for this installation?

I really, really want to avoid a clunky looking mounting bracket if possible.
In general the PTZ is designed to be mounted in a particular way .. mounting it on it's side will cause more issues with balance and gears / motors .. depending on the weight / strength of motor and gears you can expect more trouble ..

1661349173450.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you want to mount the base of the PTZ directly to a vertical wall? In that case I would agree that "gravity" could potentially be an issue. However, to answer your question I believe the 5 degrees you are referring to is the amount of tilt toward the "base" of your unit. So, with the PTZ mounted directly to the wall would mean the PTZ could look toward the wall direction up to 5 degrees.

1661349386392.png

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you want to mount the base of the PTZ directly to a vertical wall? In that case I would agree that "gravity" could potentially be an issue. However, to answer your question I believe the 5 degrees you are referring to is the amount of tilt toward the "base" of your unit. So, with the PTZ mounted directly to the wall would mean the PTZ could look toward the wall direction up to 5 degrees.
Yes, exactly what I’m hoping to do. I wasn’t thinking properly with the -5° tilt. Your right, it’s towards the base. For me to get any downward (greater than 90°) view, I would need to install the camera upside down. I’m not sure if image can be “flipped” to provide the correct orientation or not. Filming upside down is obviously not an option.

I definitely understand the gravity thing and have seen that brought up during searches. I’m not sure if that’s anecdotal speculation or a factual problem. Being a primary camera on the front of house, PTZ will be used regularly with tours/presets to cover the porch and parking area. I’m hoping I can make it work.

Doing a bracket is pretty much off the table. They’re fugly and bulky on a residence. I already have a soffit mounted PTZ on the corner and was hoping to convert a few existing cams to PTZ as well.

Scruffers

n3wb
Reaction score
Loosened the module screws at the bracket and found some longer screws for upfront, slipped a shim in the front, giving maybe 7 degrees extra negative tilt. The screws mount into plastic plates, so use tiny screwdriver as to not torque it to much. Tilted the dome 3 or 4 degrees skyward and got rid of any module covers.

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
You do understand that if you pan the camera, the view will be at an angle. It won't flip on demand.
PTZ's simply are not designed to be mounted that way.
One of these would work: Review-Dahua/EmpireTech Dual lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (The Boobie Cam Upgrade) | IP Cam Talk
Yeah. I know. It just sucks that the form factor of most PTZ are so off putting. It seems like a relatively simple design tweak to permit vertical placement.

A dual sensor hadn’t crossed my mind as I was really hoping to find a PTZ to fit my needs. I will scope them out as it may be my best option.