Very basic questions IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E (or any IP cam, probably)

Reaction score
1) How do I connect directly to it? I am using the camera with a Lorex NVR and I need to connect directly to set shutter speed and so on for LPR. I used a small POE switch and plugged my laptop into one port, and the camera into the other. I used the sadp tool to scan, but couldn't find the camera. I disconnected from my local wifi network.
2) This camera doesn't show up as a preview in the Lorex NVR, but works fine if you open the camera
3) This camera doesn't work with smart search (probably related to #2) on the Lorex DVR

TIA!

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks man, you are correct. Learning a lot about how the network routes traffic. I got it to work. #2/#3 are still no dice but not critical. #3 would make life easier of course.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks man, you are correct. Learning a lot about how the network routes traffic. I got it to work. #2/#3 are still no dice but not critical. #3 would make life easier of course.
Yeah you may not be able to get #2/3 to work properly since it's not a "Lorex" camera.

What method did you use to add the camera to the NVR? Did you just add it as a ONVIF camera? Might want to experiment with the method used to add it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Typically, if you want cams and NVR's to play nice together, they both need to be the same brand. Lorex is a rebrand of Dahua, but they strip out some features from the firmwares.
Study the Wiki for more.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. It autodiscovered so I assume ONVIF.
I will play a bit. I have a Lorex camera aimed near the same location for overall surveillance so I can use its motion detection. Already snagged a plate of somebody I was curious about

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
I will play a bit. I have a Lorex camera aimed near the same location for overall surveillance so I can use its motion detection. Already snagged a plate of somebody I was curious about
Hey I have a Lorex nvr also but all my cameras are Lorex for now Am waiting on IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E to order.
The way I can access the cameras page is from internet explorer settings page there is small IE logo next to each camera if you click on that it takes me to the internal camera settings.

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
What this guy said.

Attachments

Reaction score
Thanks. For future searched, the Lorex doesn't have the IE icon option. I used a POE switch to connect directly to it. It is working well and capturing licenses plates consistently. Eventually I want to write a script to ensure that focus doesnt change, but for now forcing the camera to B&W is working

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. For future searched, the Lorex doesn't have the IE icon option. I used a POE switch to connect directly to it. It is working well and capturing licenses plates consistently. Eventually I want to write a script to ensure that focus doesnt change, but for now forcing the camera to B&W is working
Can you post some lpr pics with that camera I debating about ordering one from Andy.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey I have a Lorex nvr also but all my cameras are Lorex for now Am waiting on IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E to order.
1) How do I connect directly to it? I am using the camera with a Lorex NVR and I need to connect directly to set shutter speed and so on for LPR. I used a small POE switch and plugged my laptop into one port, and the camera into the other. I used the sadp tool to scan, but couldn't find the camera. I disconnected from my local wifi network.
2) This camera doesn't show up as a preview in the Lorex NVR, but works fine if you open the camera
3) This camera doesn't work with smart search (probably related to #2) on the Lorex DVR
Hi @Armin773, @JordonMusser

If you have a Lorex NVR which is a Dahua OEM version, you can connect Dahua OEM cameras to it using the native Dahua APIs ( that is not going the ONVIF route ), just search for the Lorex threads here and look for the guidance from other members who have posted what you need to do.
( basically sync IP, ports, user / password, AND substreams for live viewing )

Also note, some Lorex NVRs you can flash with Dahua OEM firmware if you're comfortable with firmware flashing ( potential to brick the NVR if you try this as currently the instructions we have are not a simple "click" and go.. )

Reaction score
Ill dig up a few screen grabs. But its been perfect. 100ft away or so, 20-30 MPH and I don't think I have missed a single one unless the plate is VERY dirty. (day or night)

Thanks to some searches here I started with recommended settings an fine tuned. Next step I would love to layer some OCR and dump into a spreadsheet :)