Very Low Light Cameras Needed

MikeADT

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive got 2 locations in my back yard that have 0 light and I need cameras with IR good for about 50 feet really not looking to spend more than about 80$ each but any recomendations appreciated. My current setup in one of the locations is a IPC-HDBW4231E, I also have 3 more of those cameras in other locations with better lighting which Im happy with.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
At that price point you'll be very hard pressed to find anything that will perform well under very lo or no auxiliary lighting.

Acceptable sensor sizes versus resolution -

1/3" = .333" Great for 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) Great for 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) Great for 8MP

Here's a list of cameras that will perform well -

8MP Review

Dual Lens

5442 Reviews

2231 Reviews

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
@MikeADT , can you supplement the cam's IR lighting with a couple or more strategically and optimally-placed external IR emitters?
Of course, those aren't free either but they can fill a need at a great price point.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At that price point you'll be very hard pressed to find anything that will perform well under very lo or no auxiliary lighting.
Kids, wether he knew it or not, this man just coined a new acronym we'll see more of in the future....it's "LoNo" and it means LOW or NO auxiliary lighting!
A use case: "I have a backyard I want to surveil with an IP cam and it has LoNo aux lighting". :cool:

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And what do you want to do at 50 feet - IDENTIFY or OBSERVE or DETECT - makes a big difference on the camera. A 2.8 or 3.6mm to IDENTIFY at 50 feet will never happen at night.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you only want b&w IR, won't be too, too bad then. I thought you wanted color. Once I went colored, I can't go back. Isn't that the saying???

MikeADT

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah I just want to be able to see something the cameras I listed above only see for about 10ft and then its pitch black.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try an auxiliary IR placed away from the camera to extend their night vision. Place in front of and to one side of the cameras. I "light up" my back yard with a 30 watt IR floodlight to get light into those LoNo areas. This would be an inexpensive way to utilize your existing cameras and, even if you replace them, could be used to augment new cameras at a relatively small investment.

External IR
Blaster

Smaller IR

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.