VGA Capture Hardware

mikeduncan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a cash register system that uses a touchscreen VGA monitor running at 1024x768. I currently have it running into a Sewell VGA to composite converter:

c6450cdab1.jpg

then from composite to NVR to Blue Iris via h264 stream. When the Sewell is working right the picture is clear and great, I am really happy with using it. The problem is that the picture goes black randomly or goes greyscale and unreadable randomly. Looking around for something better I decided to try the newer version, it was cheap enough so I figured what the heck:

1b0404c6b3.png

I also bought a couple of these (there are more monitors I want to stream into blue iris):

927d64cc69.jpg

Since the newer version doesn't have a VGA pass-through I have to use a Y cable.

I hooked up the new one today with the Y cable and the picture was about half as bright and waving vertically. On the physical monitor the picture was a lot dimmer so I believe the cable was responsible for this. I suppose that makes sense since it is splitting the signal up between two devices. Maybe a better Y cable? Not sure how I can rectify this, the old one looks perfect (besides the issues stated)

The only "next thing" I can really find is this tiny yet monstrously priced beast:

d14c654420.jpg

I will have to run yet another wire through the ceiling if I go this route though :/ I am also not too keen on dropping $300 on something that China should have already solved for $49.95 XD

Is there anyone out here capturing VGA? Where are the middle-of-the-road priced items? I can't find them :(