video doorbell using existing camera?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello
I have an existing Dahua camera sitting over my front door. Dahua's software is crap and the best alerts I get are via email.
I want some options to create a doorbell using any kind of automation software that will ring my phone and show video from the camera
I know there are things like Ring etc. But they all have issues. Either battery is crap, need a strong wifi, need to be hardwired etc.
I want to have something like Ring but in separate modules:
- button
- speaker
- existing camera
- event processor/dialer
Most likely this all can be achieved with Rasperry Pi but I wonder if anyone here has done it already so can provide with some useful links
Thank you

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris setup is too expensive to change to if I already have my existing PoE NVR. So I am trying to use as much of my existing setup as I can

Last edited:

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm responding to an old post. Hope you've made progress.

You are describing exactly what I want too. The closest I see is a SIP door phone. Not good enough. I also want push notifications from a PIR sensor and a ring group so active tablets and multimedia devices are notified and / or called. I agree that the functions should be more modular and configurable.

Funny enough, I am using a Pi to understand what workflow I prefer. Personally, I think a Pi is a good education and learning tool but is crippled, possibly on purpose, preventing it from being part of a reliable product. For example, unexpected shutdown can corrupt the SD card.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no development from me. Just left it until something else is available