Video Driver / RAM maxed

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BI machine's ram is maxing out. Driver upgrades were disabled per the WIKI recommendations. Running 16 cams on i7-6700 16gb Ram. Been running great for a few months, then started locking up, lagging, buffering, etc. Under device manager graphics card had yellow exclamation mark saying it's "not functioning properly".

Per the WIKI I went to install driver 15.45.18.4664 for 6th gen but when I click on it it shows driver 15.45.26.5056? Anyone use this driver?

Also when I try to install this 5056 driver afterwards it shows driver version 21.20.16.5174.

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update, did a system restore to 2 weeks ago and memory back to running around 33% w/ driver 27.20.100.8681

Still have the yellow exclamation mark on graphics card in device manager. Under the card's properties it says:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect."

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
what version of BI? Some newer versions may max out the resources if you have 100% of the Cams on Hardware acceleration

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Version 5.5.3.7
Did you turn off hardware acceleration on every cam?

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Grrrrr it's back! RAM is pegged, same driver that's been working the last few weeks. Does somebody have a good work-around this? Could i just buy a good video card w/ it's updated driver and possibly fix it?

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using substreams but haven't shut off HA yet. Will try that

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Still have the yellow exclamation mark on graphics card in device manager. Under the card's properties it says:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect."
Sometime windows will display this message because you are not using the "blessed" driver source & version that M$ thinks you should be using.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm on a i5-6600K (same HD 530 as on your i7) I've got the below driver and have no issues at all, I have HA enabled on all my cams

1646487705469.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI updates have been problematic for some people. With the use of substreams, HA is really not needed.

In my tests, the CPU% used to offload the graphics to the GPU isn't offset by the savings in CPU% by offloading. YMMV

Before substreams it made a big difference and HA was needed.

I have over 30 cams and not one is using HA and my CPU% is the same as when I ran HA.

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before the weekend I let windows update to the latest driver due to the one i was using all of sudden started not working....weird? Worked great all weekend with updated driver. Now we're here at work and 4 of us are logged in using UI3 (like we always do) and it's creeped up to 90% in 1 hour 45min. Using BI version 5.5.4.5, noticed that's fairly old. Should i update to a later one? Has anyone ever changed the version of BI and it fixed a memory leak?

flyboy68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Found it! I'm using an external usb hard drive for more storage. Unplugged it, RAM dropped dramatically. My BI pc is a small form factor so i didn't have room to add another surveilance drive.

Is this normal to use that much ram?

Whats the alternative to adding storage sufficiently, like a NAS or just bite the bullet and buy a bigger PC?

Josh

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some folks have had USB external drives go well, and others glitchy. Probably depends on how many cameras. It would obviously get more write intensive as BI runs more data through. I bought a Seagate 8TB USB 3.0 or 3.1 drive at Costco this Christmas. It's an SMR drive, (Shingled Magnetic Recording) and running a windows image backup to that drive is painfully slow. Running it to the WD Blue 6.0 TB is faster but, that drive too suffers a performance hit with SMR. When I write to the 8TB Surveillance drive, it finishes 15 minutes faster than the other 2.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if you had a fast Spinning CMR drive in a USB 3.1 enclosure you might not see the ram go crazy. but if its a Consumer grade external drive, it very possibly is running an SMR drive.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, in theory the USB has the capacity to support it, but reality for many is not. And if they USB port or device cannot keep up with the nonstop streaming, then it has to load up the RAM for the overflow.