Video Intercom Gate-Opener

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been tasked with trying to find an all-in-one system for a video intercom electronic swinging gate. The customer has bad vision and isn't the most tech-savvy guy, so I'm looking to do this with one app that has a simple enough UI. He wants to have somebody drive up, press a button, it shows him video of who is there and then he can open the gate. I've been looking at something like the DS-KV8X02-IM by Hikvision, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get it to open a big swinging gate. I can only find instances where it was deployed for a pedestrian gate or a door. Is there an easier solution? Any help would be greatly appreciate any help, thank you.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any intercom device that has a relay to open a door will work on a gate.

The audio and video don't have to be integrated. There are lots of audio intercom systems that can call a landline or cell phone. This might be simpler for someone who isn't very tech savvy.

Hikvision and Dahua have indoor intercom stations with screens to display cameras and simple buttons to open the door. Some of their intercom devices can work on their own, others require an indoor station to function and special non-compliant poe switch.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been tasked with trying to find an all-in-one system for a video intercom electronic swinging gate. The customer has bad vision and isn't the most tech-savvy guy, so I'm looking to do this with one app that has a simple enough UI. He wants to have somebody drive up, press a button, it shows him video of who is there and then he can open the gate. I've been looking at something like the DS-KV8X02-IM by Hikvision, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get it to open a big swinging gate. I can only find instances where it was deployed for a pedestrian gate or a door. Is there an easier solution? Any help would be greatly appreciate any help, thank you.
I don't see any difference in opening a "pedestrian gate" or a "door" and a big swinging gate? The output of any electronic (video) doorbell is never gonna power the gate nor the door, it's just a "relais" system triggering another system to do something. I don't have experience with DS-KV8X02-IM, however I've got a couple of [Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit which has the "electronic lock mechanism", which means you can view who's standing in front of the cam, plus send two (2!) electronic lock signals, one for a door, one for a gate for example. You'll need, off course, a swinging door mechanism that accepts an "external" signal, but most gates do have IOs (like for example from keypads, which is actually the same).
Hope this helps!
CC

Reaction score
Any intercom device that has a relay to open a door will work on a gate.

The audio and video don't have to be integrated. There are lots of audio intercom systems that can call a landline or cell phone. This might be simpler for someone who isn't very tech savvy.

Hikvision and Dahua have indoor intercom stations with screens to display cameras and simple buttons to open the door. Some of their intercom devices can work on their own, others require an indoor station to function and special non-compliant poe switch.
Thank you for the info, that will really help me find a suitable solution. I wish I could just use a GSM intercom, it seems like the simplest way to go, but he wants a video feed. I'll keep researching but this really points me in a better direction than I was thinking.

I don't see any difference in opening a "pedestrian gate" or a "door" and a big swinging gate? The output of any electronic (video) doorbell is never gonna power the gate nor the door, it's just a "relais" system triggering another system to do something. I don't have experience with DS-KV8X02-IM, however I've got a couple of [Review] VTO2000A & VTH1550CH & VTNS1060A Intercom Kit which has the "electronic lock mechanism", which means you can view who's standing in front of the cam, plus send two (2!) electronic lock signals, one for a door, one for a gate for example. You'll need, off course, a swinging door mechanism that accepts an "external" signal, but most gates do have IOs (like for example from keypads, which is actually the same).
Hope this helps!
CC
Awesome, thank you so much for the info! I will read up on that review and see if I can implement it. Much appreciated!

nats

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't know if you are open to building your own, but I actually built something like this.

In particular I opened the door automatically using a single board computer and a relay to the dry contact on a traditional access control system.

That being said it is very simple to setup an always on monitor right by the open door button.

Happy to share my design and components used as it is a vesa mountable display