Video jumps

Miller1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All
I have three IP cameras running into my house to an NVR and monitor the video is very smooth in there so now I have a cat six cable ran 200 feet to my shop where I have a wireless access point from there I’m going wireless to a Roku TV I have ip camera viewer pro app perfect picture the problem is the video jumps every second it’s not smooth any thoughts on If and how I can correct this

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion :
Temporarily connect an ethernet cable from the TV to the cable that enters the shop to see if there is no longer a video problem, bypassing the WiFi.
If so that will confirm that the WiFi is the weak link in terms of not being able to handle the camera traffic well enough.

Miller1

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry for the late reply i stay pretty busy all the time.I couldnt get the cameras to come up when i hooked up the hdmi extender but i did notice when i have my laptop by the router on wifi the video stream is pretty smooth and then when i take it out to my shop the video is lagging /jumpy.What setup do i need to get the smooth video in my shop that i have on my nvr

Miller1

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you try the wired connection?
WiFi can be quite problematic in terms of performance for IP camera traffic.
As I said in my reply, I tried the HDMI extender with cat six cable I couldn’t get the cameras to come up on my TV. Is there any other way to have a wired connection?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse me for being technology / ip camera illiterate but how do I hook a 200' piece of cat 6 cable to a tv without going through a hdmi extender
Re-read your first, intro post and you'll see why @alastairstevenson suggested you use a cable to NOT go wireless (go WIRED temporarily) to the Roku TV because wireless can very likely be why "... the video jumps every second it’s not smooth."

He said "...Temporarily connect an ethernet cable from the TV to the cable that enters the shop to see if there is no longer a video problem, bypassing the WiFi ."

He did not suggest you "...hook a 200' piece of cat 6 cable to a tv without going through a hdmi extender". I am not sure where you got that idea.

I had no problem understanding his clear and logical suggestion. :headbang:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excuse me for being technology / ip camera illiterate but how do I hook a 200' piece of cat 6 cable to a tv without going through a hdmi extender
As others have helpfully confirmed - the suggestion was to temporarily bypass the WiFi that the TV is connected with, using a short ethernet cable to whatever device (WiFi AP?) the feed to the shop comes in to, assuming it doesn't already reach the TV.
If the AP only has one ethernet port (varies with the model) then temporarily disconnect it and use an RJ45 joiner for the 2 cables.