Video quality issue....

Reaction score
hey there...

This is new cam from Andy-- a low-end 4mp turret. Look at the sample video below-- it is filled with "ghost" trails with movement and the video of me is really noisy and grainy. This was last night-- I changed the bitrate to the max-- it was at 2048 CBR when this vid was taken. The exposure setting is unchanged and set to Shutter-Priority at 1/60th. BLC is on. I thought I'd ask here to see if I should change something else to try tonight. If someone broke into a vehicle-- I don't think there would be any way to come close to identifying anyone. Should I set this cam to B&W?

Reaction score
As Teaf stated, this is too wide an FOV to be able to get face ID at your driveway, even if the pic was perfect. Also, it is mounted too high to get a good look at faces.

Also, this is an $80 camera. It has 4mp shoved onto a 1/3" sensor. Do not expect it to perform like a 1/1.8" sensor camera that runs twice as much.

That being said, see the below thread for possible ways to get better results.

Reaction score
What parts are you unsure of?

2048 is too low a bit rate for a 4Mp cam.
Yes--- I changed that bit rate this morning and maxed it out. Hopefully that will do the trick. :thumb: Was not sure if backlight or other settings might also be interfering.

If the intention was to cover the car then you need a more zoomed in cam rather than a general purpose wide area coverage cam which is what you currently have.
This cam is at my front door to get clear shots of people coming to deliver things, etc.
The driveway is covered by another cam that has a 1/1.8 sensor...
1589919598159.png

Reaction score
As Teaf stated, this is too wide an FOV to be able to get face ID at your driveway, even if the pic was perfect. Also, it is mounted too high to get a good look at faces.

Also, this is an $80 camera. It has 4mp shoved onto a 1/3" sensor. Do not expect it to perform like a 1/1.8" sensor camera that runs twice as much.

That being said, see the below thread for possible ways to get better results.

Thanks for that link--- :thumb: it EXACTLY answered my question-- noise reduction in combination with shutter speed..... I have to tinker with it tonight to see what this piece of hardware can do for me. As I began to type this, I got a cousin to the camera delivered--- an Amcrest (rebranded Dahua) that looks identical but is 5mp and was about $50 -- an IP5m-T1179EW. Will probably behave very similarly to this one.

Reaction score
So--- currently my settings are giving me MUCH GREATER VIDEO QUALITY. No more ghosting and much cleaner video with less noise... and the cost of course was overall brightness and saturation-- good tradeoff for an inexpensive camera.... I can post the video that this frame was taken from tomorrow if anyone is interested.
1589952232413.png

settings:

1589952318594.png

1589952370798.png

No backlight/WDR/BLC

The video was SO much better-- but there IS motion blur evident if I pause it.... Maybe I can squeeze a little more performance out of this-- any suggestions on settings appreciated. :thumb:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but there IS motion blur evident if I pause it
See how far you can reduce the longest shutter time (exposure) before the picture degrades too far.
There may be some overhead you can take advantage of.
You should be able to increase the gain somewhat to compensate for a reduced exposure time.
Don't have too large a minimum value or you may find it's washed out in daylight.

Reaction score
See how far you can reduce the longest shutter time (exposure) before the picture degrades too far.
There may be some overhead you can take advantage of.
You should be able to increase the gain somewhat to compensate for a reduced exposure time.
Don't have too large a minimum value or you may find it's washed out in daylight.
I am only adjusting the night profile-- "Auto" settings seem to be pretty forgiving and work well in daytime.

I will keep playing around with those exposure settings. I think it's pretty damn close to being dialed in. :thumb:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am only adjusting the night profile-- "Auto" settings seem to be pretty forgiving and work well in daytime.

I will keep playing around with those exposure settings. I think it's pretty damn close to being dialed in. :thumb:
In the nighttime setting you posted above, set the minimum shutter speed to 0 and maximum to 8 - 10ms. Right now your low range is to slow/long. You will always get motion blur with a minimum shutter setting of 20ms.

UP the gain to taste after trying the shutter numbers I told you. I run about ~70ish gain at night since I also have an upper limit on the shutter speed (8ms or 1/125). There is a bit of trade off with a slightly "grainer" picture when you increase gain, but that is just how it goes if you want to get rid of motion blur with a fast shutter but also have a picture that is illuminated enough to see with a higher gain to offset the fast shutter.

You can up the 3D NR a bit too. I leave mine at the default of 50. Helps remove some of the grain.

Last edited:

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is some awesome information. Thanks to those that advised the OP and also to the OP themselves for posting not only results but screenshots/info as to what they did. This is inspiring me to try tweaking my own settings for a better picture!

Reaction score
In the nighttime setting you posted above, set the minimum shutter speed to 0 and maximum to 8 - 10ms. Right now your low range is to slow/long. You will always get motion blur with a minimum shutter setting of 20ms.

UP the gain to taste after trying the shutter numbers I told you. I run about ~70ish gain at night since I also have an upper limit on the shutter speed (8ms or 1/125). There is a bit of trade off with a slightly "grainer" picture when you increase gain, but that is just how it goes if you want to get rid of motion blur with a fast shutter but also have a picture that is illuminated enough to see with a higher gain to offset the fast shutter.

You can up the 3D NR a bit too. I leave mine at the default of 50. Helps remove some of the grain.
I will try that tonight! I am baffled as to why they use milliseconds here and standard shutter speed fractions elsewhere--- trying to get my brain to think of the inverse is hurting me... LOL.

EDIT: And THANK YOU!! :headbang: :cool: :thumb:

Reaction score

I experimented with those settings. I can't come anywhere close to a max of 8 to 10 without sending it to nearly full darkness except immediately next to lighted areas. I can not really go below 25 on the max side of that.
Any bump in noise reduction creates lots of motion issues-- great stills, terrible motion. At 50-- the "trails" or ghosting returned just like the original vid posted....
This screen shot shows the ghosting/motion blur-- the yellow ghosted blob is my golden retriever, LOL. Even the shadow is ghosted, and yet simultaneously, you can see individual blades of grass.... <sigh>

1590035526785.png

I'm not done trying....

So-- Is there an advantage to sacrificing RESOLUTION? Rather than the camera Max, would using a lower resolution improve the performance of this thing--- or am I just asking too much of that 1/2.8 sensor?

1590036266633.png