Video Quality

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello - I have been trying different ways to make the best video quality. For example, when a car drives by, it would catch most of the car movement instead of jumping down the street. I have wireless cams, some HD and the rest mpeg. I have them all set at 10 fps with adjust automatically checked off. I am right now using the Blue Iris recording option, although the Windows Media seems better quality, but I have a harder time scrolling through time with Windows Media. Any suggestions to capture the best movement of cars? Do I need to match the fps on the internal cams with blue iris? Is the direct-to-disk a better option too? Thanks in advance.

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By the way a few of the cams have powerline adaptors, the rest wireless. Foscams. I do have a wifi extender and the live video feed runs well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You first need to look at the video directly from the cam...if the video view the cameras interface is choppy nothing you do in blue iris will help..Wifi contributes to lots of video issues...

FIN13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see. The video steam on the monitor is not 100% smooth but not bad. Wonder if bi video or wibdows media are any different

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see. The video steam on the monitor is not 100% smooth but not bad. Wonder if bi video or wibdows media are any different
if you record direct to disk it should be the same...if you are encoding, there is an option for adjusting the quality of the video...but if its jumpy its most likely not related to the video quality settings..post of video of what is happening.

FIN13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My understanding is direct to disk is obly for h.264 and hd not mpegs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is that it will work with mpeg there are some limitations though
Advanced users may wish to experiment with the Direct-To-Disc feature. Instead of recompressing the video for recording, an attempt is made to save the exact stream as received from the camera. This may not be used with the Windows Media container format, and only H.264 streams are appropriate for the MP4 file format at this time.

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I did a little test and the video is most smooth when I use BI along with the encoding, not direct-to-disk. Some of my cams are not h.264 as well. Seems like the way it is now is pretty good, although I get the "ghost" at times, the ghost trailing movement.