Video Server/Encoder for AHD Cams

Reaction score
I recently inherited 4 of these cameras:
DWC-D4783WD
https://digital-watchdog.com/productdetail/DWC-D4783WD/

I need to figure out how to connect them to my existing IP camera network. They are already installed and i dont really want to take them down and replace them. I was going to use the Axis M7014 but i realized they won't work with it. I contacted DW and they said the only device they have is their SUPER expensive 16-Channel Universal HD Analog to IP Signal Encoder. i've combed through amazon and ebay but i just can't figure out any alternatives. i dont see the point in buying a 16-channel expensive device for only 4 cameras, might as well replace them at that point but i wanted to hit the forums to see if anyone had any suggestions. i'm running Blue Iris so i need stuff that is compatible with it.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
so the cameras are already installed, but there's no DVR?

Reaction score
the previous owners had the DW DVR, i removed that and was going to use a video server/encoder to turn them into IP then run that back to my BI server. I've done this before, the cams were not HD so i was able to use typical video server/encoder.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
but wouldn't the existing network DVR work for that? or does it not provide any a way tp pull RTSP:// streams over the network (to BI)?

maybe a cheapo-network DVR that can provide RTSP streams for each cam?
look for something that's compatible with TVI/CVI and is ONVIF-compatible.

have no experience with these, but maybe something like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/113599375873

yeah, it's probably junk, but at that price may be worth trying to incorporate the existing cams.

If the network side of it is indeed ONVIF-compliant, there's a chance you can pull the streams from it into BI. Would just need to figure out the rtsp:// URLs, etc. Then again, maybe the only mean it's compatible with ONVIF cameras on the input side...

If it works, probably wouldn't even need to put a HDD into it, as you could record to BI...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt and sound advice!

i honestly dont know if the dvr has those capabilities. i need to research it. i didn't consider this option but if it has the capabilities it may work...
this is the link to the dvr: https://digital-watchdog.com/page/vmax-a1-series/

i'm definitely going to look up some cheapo dvrs, i could care less if they are junk just as long as it allows me to steam to BI.

these are all great ideas. gonna get to looking around. i'll be back with any updates. thanks again.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
suggest hooking the cams back up to the VMAX-A1 NVR as it was before and get that working on your network.
then see about how to import the NVR stream(s) into BI...