Video stopped working

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just set up my new IPC-T5442T-ZE camera today. I haven't done much more than set the IP.

Video was working in the browser, but when I came back from dinner it was not. I'm not sure what's going on. I know the camera is streaming successfully. I can hear audio, and if I zoom, I can hear the camera working.

Any ideas?

2020-12-15_19-07-42.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try logging out and back in. And if that doesn't work, then change the codec to H264 to H265 or vice versa.

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did try re-logging. That did not work. I rebooted the VM hosting the browser and video was restored. This makes me think something went haywire with the browser plugin.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah - these cameras can get a little buggy sometimes that way. I have one camera running H265 codec that I view on an older computer just fine, but on my newer computer it won't show an image unless I drop it to H264.

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a better or more stable playback method? I haven't set up BI yet. I tried to install and run Smart PSS but that didn't seem to work. I don't know if it's even a good idea to trust that software...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera GUI will always log off with inactivity and then it looks like it is working, but a logout and maybe close the browser is needed. I didn't like Smart PSS and quickly uninstalled and went to Blue Iris and haven't looked back. I was an NVR person previously but found it to be too quirky to work with. But many people here love NVRs as well and comes down to personal preference.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SmartPSS works great a as a viewer and for playback/downlaods.

Just dont install the VMS module upon installation

I use it at 6 locations now.

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SmartPSS works great a as a viewer and for playback/downlaods.

Just dont install the VMS module upon installation

I use it at 6 locations now.
I tried installing it on a Windows server VM and it would not launch. What kind(s) of OS do you use?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried installing it on a Windows server VM and it would not launch. What kind(s) of OS do you use?
Windows 10 and 7

Watching 20 cameras on one now and 26 on another. I keep it running on the windows 10 machine all day

This is on my Windows 7 laptop, I usually keep it running in the background in the evenings between 6 and midnight while I play on IPCT ;)
Feeds from 5 NVR's 4 of them remote

smartpssview-2.jpg

Last edited:

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've tried several iterations with VLC and keep getting an error saying "Your input can't be opened"

I have enabled RTSP over TLS. I've also switched the encoding to H.264, though I'm not sure if that actually matters. What else do I need to do?

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
view in VLC as well. rtsp:/admin:yourpassword@x.x.x.x:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
I played with this quite some time last night and didn't have any success.

• I've verified that port 554 is open
  • I've tried enabling/disabling "RTSP over TLS" -- if disabled, VLC will continuously prompt me for credentials even though I have them in the URL
  • I made sure that the streams are encoding with H.264.
  • I've made sure that the bitrate is 4096 or less (i.e., the sub-stream is much less)
  • I've tried enabling/disabling ONVIF authentication.

I suspect I am simply running up against my own ignorance and lack of experience with these settings. Any advice?

Last edited:

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if disabled, VLC will continuosly prompt me for credentials even though I have them in the URL
Maybe a too complex password, compare settings:
Capture.PNG
Network --> Access Platform -> ONVIF -> Authentification = "On"
System --> Account -> Onvif User --> check user & pass
System --> Safety -> System Service -> ONVIF = "Enable"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure that the user/pw you are using shows up under ONVIF account too in the system tab. Most do not see that, but if you are using anything other than the initial set-up of the camera, the current user/pw might not be in there. I learned that one the hard way spending hours trying to figure out why something wasn't working! Also, do not use the @ in a passwords as many of these platforms use that to pass on info.

tessellated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Huh! Funnily enough right after posting this morning I did get a stream going in VLC. I'll post here a bit later on the settings I manipulated, and what I have found to work or not.