video success!

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just 4 days after installing our new Hikvision cams we scored. Capturing wildlife that walk through our property is exactly why we wanted them, and this is a good one. The jury is still out on if it is a wolf or coyote, hard to tell for sure, but either way I am thrilled with the location of this camera and quality of the video.

[video]https://youtu.be/nbqhUY4i1LU[/video]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. I get mostly racoon, skunk, or any of half a dozen cats on my cameras. Usually 2 or 3 different ones nightly! You never know how much activity there is until you get a camera to record it.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes I like to take a frame from two different video captures and superimpose one subject next to another subject to get a feel for relative size.
If you can place something that is of a known size right where that critter paused for awhile, you can probably get a pretty good idea of its height at the shoulder.

Here is what I think is a wolf next to a fox that both walked through the same location in the camera's FOV

I placed a stake with markings at 6" intervals at the same location and compared two frames and decided that this guy stood 25" at the shoulder, which pretty much ruled out it being a coyote.

And as a just for fun, here is a moose next to a fawn

Attachments

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out coyote at only 25 inches that's the same size as a female shepherd and coyotes are from 23-26 average

I'm going to say both are coyotes as they look exactly like grey wolves

almost certain your not seeing wolves especially without collars

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out coyote at only 25 inches that's the same size as a female shepherd and coyotes are from 23-26 average

I'm going to say both are coyotes as they look exactly like grey wolves

almost certain your not seeing wolves especially without collars
I won't rule out coyote either, but if it was a coyote, it was at or above the upper end of the height range I've seen stated for coyotes.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12141_12168-31682--,00.html

http://www.californiawolfcenter.org/learn/comparing-wolves-and-coyotes/

As to the lack of a collar, the Colorado Division of Wildlife states that >70% of the Rocky Mountain gray wolves will not have collars, tags, or wildlife management markers.

dlee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is a DS-2CD2120-I. I am VERY happy with these cameras, after first trying Foscam, which gave us terrible videos.

code2...In the 27 years we have lived on this property we have seen many wolves. (Very few have collars around here). We even had what we think was a male and female pair that we would see a couple times a year for several years. They had a unique color to them so it was easy to identify them. So we do have a good chance of catching some on video. We also have an abundance of coyotes. At ground level we can easily tell the difference, but with an overhead shot like these cameras give, it is hard to tell for sure.