video surveillance for home please help

AlbertG

n3wb
Reaction score
To be honest, I came here for the same reason :)) I need the cheapest video surveillance to watch over my car at night with movement decetion. Should I still make an introduction post, huh?

AlbertG

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for good advices and especially for the links. It's not that simple for a newbie to understand this surveillance thigs

AlbertG

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds not so good for me. I started my tests yesterday what can these apps do and gonna send some research results soon. Still thinking to buy a camera
Well, I saw many ads dedicated to these apps in my area and currently can't do the test myself as my 2nd phone's battery is damaged.
So I will wait for yours.

Eladin Johans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good day guys! It took some time but... Me and my friend started the research with 2 apps: Faceter and Alfred Camera (without premium subscription both, just SD quality) The cameraphone: Xiaomi mi 8

We tried different locations at different time of the day. I don't wanna waste your time with tons of videos and just attached some of them.

In fact, the video qulity is pretty much the same. But I noticed some differencces:
  • Sometimes for no reason Alfred blurs the video for 4-7 seconds;
  • Faceter app took ~10% more battery power which means this app's optimizaton is not that good;
  • At same conditions Alfred performed really sad at night, dunno why, video will be added a bit later;

Also I did almost 48h stress-test to see if my phone is able to handle this. The result is more than OK. Neither Faceter nor Alfred got crushed or something else despite the fact my phone was as hot as volcano.

P.S.: I've bought The Wyze Cam v3 but i don't know how much time it is gonna take to be delivered in my town...

What do you think guys? Will this video quality be enough for a while? Or its' just bad if compare with your (even the cheapest) cameras?

Attachments

Eladin Johans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I saw many ads dedicated to these apps in my area and currently can't do the test myself as my 2nd phone's battery is damaged.
So I will wait for yours.
I am not an expert at all, just take a loot at my videos and decide if its ok for u buddy

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's why I came here to ask to be honest. Cuz these apps says "We have fully working nightvision mode which works fine". So it became hard for me to make a decision as they offer free nighvision camera for like zero dollars. Sounds strange? I agree
When the service is cheap or free, YOU are the product.

Eladin Johans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A agree but I have no choise... We have a really bad situation with money and there is no much work in the country right now.

What do you use? What cameras or devices?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do you think guys? Will this video quality be enough for a while? Or its' just bad if compare with your (even the cheapest) cameras?
Useless. I can tell is a non-black person with blue shirt walk across the camera. But there is no way I can ID them. License plate number? Forget it.

1656850574451.png

I can almost read what the license plate says, and better chance of ID the person.

1656850677661.png

Eladin Johans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Useless. I can tell is a non-black person with blue shirt walk across the camera. But there is no way I can ID them. License plate number? Forget it.

View attachment 132382

I can almost read what the license plate says, and better chance of ID the person.

View attachment 132383
Yea, faceter did more detailed picture for some reason. Did you check the night version?

AlbertG

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day guys! It took some time but... Me and my friend started the research with 2 apps: Faceter and Alfred Camera (without premium subscription both, just SD quality) The cameraphone: Xiaomi mi 8

We tried different locations at different time of the day. I don't wanna waste your time with tons of videos and just attached some of them.

In fact, the video qulity is pretty much the same. But I noticed some differencces:
  • Sometimes for no reason Alfred blurs the video for 4-7 seconds;
  • Faceter app took ~10% more battery power which means this app's optimizaton is not that good;
  • At same conditions Alfred performed really sad at night, dunno why, video will be added a bit later;

Also I did almost 48h stress-test to see if my phone is able to handle this. The result is more than OK. Neither Faceter nor Alfred got crushed or something else despite the fact my phone was as hot as volcano.

P.S.: I've bought The Wyze Cam v3 but i don't know how much time it is gonna take to be delivered in my town...

Thanks this helps a lot. What about movement detetion? Is there any?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you think of them? In the end, that is the only thing that matters. If you are happy with the results with the current equipment you have and software, then you are good.

Reaction score

The video quality is certainly on par with low-cost security cameras, but that's not surprising. After all, cell phones are designed to provide good video quality, although there are obvious compression artifacts in the streaming video.

But as you pointed out, your phone is running extremely hot. Furthermore, a cell phone isn't something you can easily mount outside a window, or that can tolerate outdoor weather extremes. On the other hand, any camera is better than no camera at all. So in a pinch this will work for you, but I'd strongly recommend replacing it with the Wyze Cam v3 once it arrives.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
A agree but I have no choise... We have a really bad situation with money and there is no much work in the country right now.

What do you use? What cameras or devices?
Hey, not to change the subject on your thread, but seeing you are from Ukraine?, what is really happening in your country with Russia? We don't trust the Western media in the US to tell us the real truth.

Reaction score
Look at the Faceter web site, and the "service" becomes obvious. The real business of Faceter appears to be cryptocurrency mining, with the security camera service as the excuse for convincing people to add their computers as nodes to the Facteter mining network.

The amount of computing power required for each node is far in excess of what would be needed for any security camera application. Faceter is making its money mining cryptocurrency. Everything else is just window dressing.

Reaction score
Faceter not too bad, Alfred, worthless.
The Alfred video feed is extremely compressed with minimal bandwidth, which isn't surprising. They won't give away much bandwidth for free, as their intention is to get you to sign up for an annual subscription. It seems to be their main source of revenue, along with embedded advertising in their phone app. Subscribers undoubtedly get higher quality video.

Faceter provides better video for "free" because they're making money from cryptocurrency mining.