Video Tearing in Recorded Files in BI5 and Push to Talk Issues with Blue Iris App (Android)

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@iseeker Is your system still running good with the emulator? Mine hasn't had any tears since I hooked up the monitor AND turned off the power-saving portions of the GPU in windows settings.
Yes. Really pleased about this solution. Haven’t tried without power saving turned off since installing emulator though

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is working on my machine:

Thanks, JNDATHP, but this ended up not being a driver issue for us. It ended up being an issue of keeping the Intel GPU engaged on headless displays, which required changes to the power settings and a device emulator. Once we did that, it seems that those problems were solved for both of us.

I'm currently using Version 26.20.100.7323 without issue.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WHY would you turn off the power on the GPU. it is running 100% of the time in BI ?
My question is why does Windows refer to it as a Display, when it effects the GPU ? You would think that would be two different settings.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WHY would you turn off the power on the GPU. it is running 100% of the time in BI ?
My question is why does Windows refer to it as a Display, when it effects the GPU ? You would think that would be two different settings.
I never changed any setting to turn off the power to the GPU. My BI machine was running 24/7, but switched to a KVM while testing the installation. My power settings were set at balanced (never changed it from installation) and BI was set to "Prevent power management from putting the PC to sleep". I thought all was good, but recorded video tore with QS HA enabled for the cameras. @fenderman suggested hooking directly to a monitor to test, but that still resulted in tearing. It wasn't until I looked into the advanced power options, that I had to turn display off to "never", I also changed Intel Graphics Power Plan to Maximum Performance (but have since changed it back to Balanced). The combination of that system setting plus directly hooked to a monitor is what finally resolved the tearing issue. I bought a display port emulator, and that now works to keep the hardware accelaration enabled without tearing.

I would have thought they are two separate things, but it definitely wasn't. Not sure if the fault is in Windows or Intel, but an emulator should not be necessary.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for clarifying.

I had problems when using a KVM switch, the video would tear and ghost when not switch to the monitor, Till i went to display off to never.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so I was having some really bad ghosting/tearing of moving objects on my recorded clips, and I only 3 cameras right now, CPU use less than 50% and RAM use about 2 out of 24 GB so I figured it was more of a setting problem than hardware problem. After reading this thread I thought I might have to get one of those fake monitor plugs, but I already had it set to never turn off the monitor and had it plugged into a monitor that was turned off, so I wasn't so sure about that. I managed to fix my issue by just adjusting a setting.

I'm kind of new to this BTW, forgive me if this is common knowledge. My problem ended up being that I had failed to set each camera up for Hardware accelerated decode: Intel. I did that under each camera menu in Video setting and now it looks a LOT better, pretty much no tearing in recordings that I can see! In the Main Menu settings for Blue Iris, under Cameras, I had set "Hardware accelerated decode: Intel, but I didn't do it for EACH CAMERA'S indiviual Video menu! So, just putting that out there in case it can help anyone else!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shaeth

If hardware acceleration is set in the Blue Iris setting camera tab to Intel, This set the default value for the BI system. On each camera in the video tab set it to Default.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can check that a camera is using HA by checking the Status window.
HA-enabled cameras have a hashtag (#) prefix in the Pixels column.
1581889394673.png