View Blue Iris web server from my desktop PC

Reaction score
I have installed BI on a separate pc on my network due to performance issues. I would like to still view BI from my office PC on the same network in my house. Is there an easy way to do this without having to setup a VPN? I already have the mobile app on my phone and tablets, but it would be nice to view it from my desktop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have installed BI on a separate pc on my network due to performance issues. I would like to still view BI from my office PC on the same network in my house. Is there an easy way to do this without having to setup a VPN? I already have the mobile app on my phone and tablets, but it would be nice to view it from my desktop.
if its on the same network, vpn is not relevant...you can use the built in webserver...see the UI3 thread for a much better interface for the webserver.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use Chrome Remote desktop in my home setup. I have my computer in a closet without a monitor hooked up and use my desktop work computer to remote in if needed.

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BI does not offer 'full' management through a web interface but it does offer quite a bit of monitoring capability through its build-in web server.

In addition to the built-in web server, one of the users here built a much better web interface (UI2) that can be dropped overtop of the built-in pages. He is now in testing for a third generation (UI3).

If you just want to use these in your home network, there is no need for VPN.

ksnax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Having spent a little time with this issue myself recently, I just want to throw in the suggestion that the native Windows Remote Desktop Connection is an absolute hog of CPU resources. It's fine for low load use, but turns into a system killer quickly without much additional load.

I had been using it myself for the last couple of months, but having recently added just 8MP of additional cameras to my system, real time viewing load via RDC started to consistently hit close to 100% whereas it was only about 70-80% before. Running as just a service, the CPU load was previously just shy of 30% and now sits around 37% with the added cameras without the RDC active. (Yes, the live view load can be cut drastically by keeping the default 5s update period for the RDC, but where's the fun in that?)

Although it does not provide the same screen real estate, I have since started using the Chrome Remote Desktop, and it has far less impact, running at an average of 45% load with unthrottled live viewing. All of the same things, providing full admin control of BI, can still be done short of maximizing the display for higher resolution monitors.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having spent a little time with this issue myself recently, I just want to throw in the suggestion that the native Windows Remote Desktop Connection is an absolute hog of CPU resources. It's fine for low load use, but turns into a system killer quickly without much additional load.

I had been using it myself for the last couple of months, but having recently added just 8MP of additional cameras to my system, real time viewing load via RDC started to consistently hit close to 100% whereas it was only about 70-80% before. Running as just a service, the CPU load was previously just shy of 30% and now sits around 37% with the added cameras without the RDC active. (Yes, the live view load can be cut drastically by keeping the default 5s update period for the RDC, but where's the fun in that?)

Although it does not provide the same screen real estate, I have since started using the Chrome Remote Desktop, and it has far less impact, running at an average of 45% load with unthrottled live viewing. All of the same things, providing full admin control of BI, can still be done short of maximizing the display for higher resolution monitors.
Or use this: Blue Iris UI3 beta test is now open!