View videos from Hikvision ip camera - OK with IE, but not on Edge

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD4A26FWD camera and like to view live and sometimes playback videos. The camera and setup is quite old (4 years) and have worked well until now where pushing from Microsoft several times give me Edge when I open IE. The main problem is that in IE I need (needed 4 years ago) to install a file called "WebComponents.exe" to be able to run the videos. Trying to do the same in Edge didn't work.
I found a way to reset (go back) to IE from Edge, but am afraid this is only a solution that will work a short time - as Microsoft push for Edge almost every day.

I hope to get help to find a webcomponent-file that will work with Edge. Someone?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
simple question simple answer: no

use ivms or smartpss(dahua) ..

they (hik and dahua) will update some models in future to work without IE, but it will take time. older models maybe will not receive an update.

here are people who are using extensions for other browser to emulate internet explorer, but this is not perfect. but it works somehow, maybe give it a try.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, user8963.

What about Pale Moon Browser ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, user8963.

What about Pale Moon Browser ?
Should be OK in place of IE, but be sure to use the 32 bit version so that the plug-in (the same "WebComponents.exe" ) that IE uses will work. That file, BTW, is downloaded from the camera.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you very much, TonyR.

As I succeded to go back from Edge to IE I think I stay on IE as long as it last, but keep in mind Pale Moon as a solution when Microsoft remove the ability to return to IE from Edge. (I dont like the daily warnings from them.)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you very much, TonyR.

As I succeded to go back from Edge to IE I think I stay on IE as long as it last, but keep in mind Pale Moon as a solution when Microsoft remove the ability to return to IE from Edge. (I dont like the daily warnings from them.)
FWIW, you should be able to run IE anytime you want; it's included still in Win 10, you just have to look for it and then create a shortcut. Also you can go into Win 10 "default" settings and make IE your default browser...there is no mandate by MS that you MUST use Edge in place of IE. They sure want you to, as the annoying promo for Edge pops up every time you open IE.

Edge is Chromium-based as is Chrome, Brave and other browsers. You can run ANY browser you want as long as it's made for Win 10 (or your O/S), the question is:
will it provide the operation / compatibility you require for what you're attempting to use it with ?

Last edited:

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW, you should be able to run IE anytime you want; it's included still in Win 10, you just have to look for it and then create a shortcut. Also you can go into Win 10
Will IE be included in Win 11?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I'll keep on with win 10, Firefox for most of my work and IE for camera, router and banking.
Be advised, however, MS won't be updating IE with regard to security, so at some point it may not work with your banking or other secure ( https ) sites.

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, TonyR.
There is several reasons why I wish to use separate browsers for important and not so important use. And PaleMoon and simular could be more at risk than the more common IE, Firefox, Opera etc. But thanks again for the warning.

stoneyc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, TonyR.
There is several reasons why I wish to use separate browsers for important and not so important use. And PaleMoon and simular could be more at risk than the more common IE, Firefox, Opera etc. But thanks again for the warning.
search in google for ietab see if that helps you have to type ip address in ietab extension it will install it self at the top of edge click on it type in your camears ip address see if that works

llarsx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
search in google for ietab see if that helps you have to type ip address in ietab extension it will install it self at the top of edge click on it type in your camears ip address see if that works
I have done so, but struggle with the webcomponent. And I hate alredy Edge because all the pushing from MS.

chameo53

n3wb
Reaction score
I moved from Win10 to Win11 already (part of Windows Insiders) and it does appear that Microsoft has pretty much shut down the ability to run IE. Not sure why but I could not get Palemoon to work as it did previously no matter what it tried. I tried to install IE11 separately but launching it always returned to Edge. As referenced earlier in this thread the ietab extension (accessible in Edge extensions) allows all the hikvision functions to work as they did when using web components in Win10 IE. The nice thing is that after I initially set up my nvr and camera access using Edge with the ietab extension, Edge automatically opened the nvr and then the cameras with the extension tab functionality intact.

Apologies but I don't recall if I needed to re-install web-components after installing the ietab extension.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk