Viewing a camera for install

Reaction score
I am an installer and I was seeing if there was a good way to view the cameras at the camera, maybe someway to hook it up to a tablet. Right now we plug them up to a server that is compatible with the default IP address. Once we get it focused then we program the camera to work on the customers network. Is there something that my guys can use at the field end so it doesn't take two people?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pre-Configure the cameras for DHCP and just use a tablet to get on there Wifi and find the camera, or you could use a standard android tablet with a USB OTG Ethernet adapter such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Micro-B-Ethernet-Raspberry-AX88772A/dp/B00RM3KXAU

then use a PoE to 12v adapter so you can extract power from the ethernet cable you ran, just dont plug in the network part.. like this: https://www.amazon.com/ELEGIANT-Ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Cameras/dp/B0146LFMZG

Plug the tablet right into the camera with a crossover cable, and power it up with the PoE 12v splitter.

also get a screen protector designed to help with reflections outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Excuse me breaking down into laymans terms. So after we run the cable and patch them into the switch. We could then go out into the field and plug the OTG adapter into lets say our phones and plug that into the camera. Then we would use the PoE adapter, plug that into our network cabling, and only using the power cord plug that into the camera. At that point with the default settings on the camera we would be able to view the camera from our phone correct?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep pretty much, you use the ethernet cable just for power.. then directly connect your phone/tablet to the camera's default config for viewing.. you need an app setup to view the camera in a default state.

when you have it framed up and ready to go you simply removed the adapter and plug the camera right into the host network.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
While doing some research I came across the everfocus sidekick. I must say I do like how this one provides you with PoE and allows you to use your phone wirelessly to view the camera. The only issue I could see using the converter cables is we mount our cameras on a back box. In order to view the camera we would have to pull the cables out of one of the side ports close the box up, focus it and reopen it to make the connections.

Has anyone had any experience with the everfocus sidekick?