Viewing cameras on TV remotely

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
So I currently have an established system and would like to view my cameras on my tv that is not located near my nvr. One option is to buy a small inexpensive nvr and use that to stream cameras. Another option to purchase a raspberry pi and use that to stream my cameras. Has anyone tried this?

What are people's thoughts or diffeeent suggestions?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are a few options... rpi setup works and is recommended by others. I ended up getting some hdmi extenders from monoprice... ran 150+ft of cat5e to one room, and there was an existing 30-50ft run to the other TV, and it replays them through the network... only been using them for a couple weeks but they are great.

Edit: yeah what tangent said...

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a firetv box and I side loaded the android bi app and that's how I view my cameras

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a firetv box and I side loaded the android bi app and that's how I view my cameras
That or tinycam are also good options. The challenge is a potential delay associated with viewing them.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The pi thing looks cool. What software is it running how do you load it

Edit never mind just seen the link sorry

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to install RasPipC (nayr's project linked above) yesterday on a Raspberry Pi 2, but there weren't any installation instructions and it was my first time working with a nodejs project, so I'm not sure I did it right. Never could get any part of RasPipC running. Given the project says it is non functional in the github readme, I didn't waste too much time on it. An alternative, working project would be Raspbery Pi2 Camera Monitor w/Rpisurv It uses the same video player and should perform equally well once set up.

One important and not well publicized limitation of the above projects is that you can't play video streams that are higher resolution than 1920x1080. They may try to play, but the video will be completely corrupt. It is either a limitation of the underlying video player (omxplayer) or of the raspberry pi hardware itself. I'm not sure which. Anyway you can still use sub streams as long as you know to try that.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to install RasPipC (nayr's project linked above) yesterday on a Raspberry Pi 2, but there weren't any installation instructions and it was my first time working with a nodejs project, so I'm not sure I did it right. Never could get any part of RasPipC running. Given the project says it is non functional in the github readme, I didn't waste too much time on it. An alternative, working project would be Raspbery Pi2 Camera Monitor w/Rpisurv It uses the same video player and should perform equally well once set up.

One important and not well publicized limitation of the above projects is that you can't play video streams that are higher resolution than 1920x1080. They may try to play, but the video will be completely corrupt. It is either a limitation of the underlying video player (omxplayer) or of the raspberry pi hardware itself. I'm not sure which. Anyway you can still use sub streams as long as you know to try that.
This new board has a more powerful gpu that handles 4k video and runs $60 Amazon.com: ASUS Tinker board 2GB Motherboard: Computers & Accessories
Some effort would be required to use it and you'd have less documentation / examples than the well established pi but it certainly has potential.

Pi3b is 64bit tinker is 32bit... need to check some benchmarks.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Alas, I am no linux genius. I'm slowly learning, but without the raspberry pi community, I would be lost.

Also, omxplayer on raspberry pi is uniquely suited for use in a "video wall" type of application, with its ability to draw at any size and position on screen that you want, with configurable layering and no GUI to get in the way. Without actually knowing anything about the Asus tinker board besides what it says in the amazon listing, I doubt it has a suitable video player that works with its specific brand of hardware acceleration.

Last edited: