viewing hikvision nvr on remote tv's?

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I searched and am sorry if i missed the answer but hopefully this is an easy one. lets say I want to have a tv displaying the cams(or a subset) from a hik nvr that is either to far for an hdmi cable or at another location what is the best way to do this? tv with android stick and the hik app or something else completely?

thanks

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have android stick (FireTV) and side loaded tinycam pro with KODI as well. Works perfect and I can use my PTZ controls even when in a hotel to watch the family.

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
Kodi can load the RTSP stream directly from the camera. You can create a file containing the link in an accessible location to Kodi and then open/add it to favourites.

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your talking about connecting to the cameras directly, how about connecting to the NVR directly or is that what you are doing? If you are connecting to each camera separately are you connecting up via vpn(if so how is that holding up on an android) if not are you opening ports for each cam?

thanks

fooey

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure who you are addressing your question to.

If me, then I mentioned kodi accessing directly as an alternative to using another app installed on the same device (so you don't have to switch out from kodi).

On the remote access away from home, I use a VPN setup rather than opening ports (also the recommended approach by others here, whilst being more difficult to set up is ultimately more secure).

Once connected to VPN then you can open whatever app you want (like the ivms mobile app and still connect to it using its internal IP address - essentially because once on VPN you are actually connected to the internal network). Therefore, there is no change in app config between viewing at home and out.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And if you just want to see on your TV which I assumed you were you don't open ports for local network. If you want to operate your NVR on your TV that would depend how far from TV you are as far as options.

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK forget the VPN as that is already installed and I don't care about that. so leave that out of the equation all together. So let me go over a couple different scenarios instead.

setup hik ds-7608 with 8 hik 4mp cameras all wired
in my workshop i have a TV and want to view the NVR itself but only the channels on my doors, putting an android stick or box is easy enough but is there a piece of software that connects up to the NVR itself to view only specific channels when logged into it? I would rather stream from the NVR than the cameras especially in case i need to rewind it and do not want to go to the nvr to do it. or let's say I'm remote with a similar setup and need to review something.

also forgot to mention I've had nothing but trouble with the hik android app's getting in so is there something else there or is there a PC client that i can use something like a NUC and connect up with that and do what i want?

Last edited by a moderator: